Log in links for this page
- This page, Renew your Massachusetts ID (Mass ID), is offered by
- Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles
Renew your Massachusetts ID (Mass ID)
Contact for Renew your Massachusetts ID (Mass ID)
Registry of Motor Vehicles
The Details of Renew your Massachusetts ID (Mass ID)
What you need for Renew your Massachusetts ID (Mass ID)
If you already have your REAL ID and are up for renewal (check for the yellow star in the upper right hand corner of your license or ID), you are already eligible to do so online at Mass.Gov/RMV.
If you have not selected a REAL ID driver’s license/ID or a standard driver’s license/ID yet, follow the steps below:
- Visit Mass.Gov/RMV and click on “Online Service Center,” select your renewal transaction (Driver’s License or ID), and then follow the prompts to verify your identity and start your transaction.
- Choose the type of card you want:
- REAL ID Massachusetts driver’s license/ID card. A REAL ID is valid as a form of federal identification. The RMV encourages anyone that flies within the U.S. to obtain a REAL ID.
- Print your application summary document.
- Make a reservation to visit an RMV Service Center or AAA branch (if you’re a AAA member) with your application summary document, required documentation, and applicable fee to complete your renewal.
- Standard Massachusetts driver’s license/ID card. A Standard ID is not valid as a form of federal identification and will not be accepted as a form of ID if you fly domestically within the U.S. or visit certain federal buildings after May 3, 2023. If you choose a Standard Massachusetts driver’s license or ID card, you may be able to submit all required documents and complete your renewal online.
Turning 21 soon? You may want to wait to renew until your birthday. See the 'Turning 21?' section below.
Fees for Renew your Massachusetts ID (Mass ID)
Mass IDs can be issued for less than 5 years, depending on the duration of your lawful presence in the U.S. The fee will be prorated, based on the how long the Mass ID is valid. For a Mass ID, it will be $5.00 per year.
|Massachusetts ID Card Fee||$25||each|
How to renew Renew your Massachusetts ID (Mass ID)
- You will need to provide information from your citizenship/lawful presence document. Review the enclosed checklist and have your document ready.
- Visit the RMV's Online Service Center and select your renewal transaction then follow the prompts to verify your identity and start your transaction.
- Choose Standard Massachusetts driver’s license and follow the prompts to complete your transaction online.
You will be able to review and change your address if necessary during the application process.
If you are a AAA member, you can make a reservation to renew your ID card at a AAA location. Visit aaa.com/appointments to schedule your visit.
More info for Renew your Massachusetts ID (Mass ID)
If you renew your Massachusetts ID before your 21st birthday, you will receive a vertical ID with the words "Under 21" printed on it. However, if you renew your ID on or after your 21st birthday, you will receive a standard horizontal ID without "Under 21" printed on it.