Renew your Massachusetts ID (Mass ID)
Registry of Motor Vehicles
What you need
Effective March 26, 2018, to get or renew any driver's license, ID card, or learner's permit, you need documentation showing U.S. citizenship or lawful presence as required by federal and state law. Visit mass.gov/id for more information.
To renew your Mass ID:
- Decide what type of ID you want – a REAL ID (valid for federal purposes) or Standard Massachusetts ID (not valid for federal purposes). Go to our website at mass.gov/id to decide
- Complete your application online
- Bring your required identification and completed application to an RMV Service Center
Turning 21 soon? You may want to wait to renew until your birthday. See the 'More info' section below.
How to renew
You may be eligible to renew your Mass ID online. If eligible, you will need to provide your:
- Date of birth
- ID number
- Last 4 digits of your Social Security Number
- Email address
Bring your completed application, required documentation, and payment to:
- RMV Service Centers
- AAA branches that offer RMV services (if you belong to AAA)
Most RMV service centers accept cash, check, money order, and credit or debit cards. Since payment methods vary by location, check what’s accepted at the site you will be visiting.
If you renew your Massachusetts ID before your 21st birthday, you will receive a vertical ID with the words "Under 21" printed on it. That ID will be good for 5 years. However, if you renew your ID on or after your 21st birthday, you will receive a standard horizontal ID without "Under 21" printed on it.