Apply for a Massachusetts Identification Card (Mass ID)
Registry of Motor Vehicles
What you need
Effective March 26, 2018, to get or renew any driver's license, ID card, or learner's permit, you need documentation showing U.S. citizenship or lawful presence as required by federal and state law. Visit mass.gov/id for more information.
Massachusetts identification cards (Mass IDs) are issued to eligible customers who:
- Are at least 14 years of age
- Do not hold a valid license in any jurisdiction
- Are a resident of Massachusetts
To apply for a Mass ID, you must:
- Decide what type of identification card you want – a REAL ID (valid for federal purposes) or Standard ID (not valid for federal purposes). Go to our website at mass.gov/id to decide.
- Complete your application online.
- Bring your required identification and completed application to an RMV Service Center.
|Massachusetts ID Card||$25||each|
How to apply
Most RMV service centers accept cash, check, money order, and credit or debit cards. Since payment methods vary by location, check what’s accepted at the site you will be visiting.
You cannot process a Mass ID application online. However, you can get ready by completing the application online and answering a series of questions. At the end of the questionnaire, you will be provided with a complete application and list of required documents that you will need to bring with you to an RMV Service Center.
You will be given a temporary Mass ID, valid for 30 days, at the service center, and a permanent Mass ID will be mailed to you within 5–7 days.