Renew your physician assistant license
Contact for Renew your physician assistant license
Board of Registration of Physician Assistants
The Details of Renew your physician assistant license
What you need for Renew your physician assistant license
To renew your physician assistant license, you must attest, under penalty of perjury, to comply with:
- Good Moral Character, as defined in in 263 CMR 3.02(1)(b)
- Board laws and regulations, as defined in 263 CMR 3.05 including completion of 100 contact hours with a minimum of 40 in Category 1 of continuing education for the current registration period.
- Prescriber training requirements according to Massachusetts General Law, Chapter 94C, Section18 that requires physician assistants to obtain continuing medical education (CME) in particular subject matters as a condition of licensure for those physician assistants who prescribe controlled substances. Physician assistants must complete CMEs in the following topics:
- Effective pain management
- The risks of abuse and addiction associated with opioid medication
- Identification of patients at risk for substance use disorders
- Counseling patients about the side effects, addictive nature and proper storage and disposal of prescription medications
- Appropriate prescription quantities for prescription medications that have an increased risk of abuse
- Opioid antagonists, overdose prevention treatments and instances in which a patient may be advised on both the use of and ways to access opioid antagonists and overdose prevention treatments.
See: Mandatory CME - Pharmacology (DOC)
- Acts of 2014, Chapter 260, An Act Relative to Domestic Violence, Section 9 that requires professionals receiving licensure to complete the mandatory training as set for the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.
See: Domestic and Sexual Violence Integration Initiatives
- Section 6401 of the Affordable Care Act and under state law that requires that, for MassHealth services that must be ordered, referred or prescribed, the provider who ordered, referred or prescribed the service must be enrolled with MassHealth in order for the claim for the service to be payable.
See: The ACA Ordering, Referring, and Prescribing (ORP) Requirements for MassHealth Providers
When can I resume practicing?
You cannot practice with an expired license.
Once your online renewal process is complete, it is immediately processed and is available for verification at Check a License.
Fees for Renew your physician assistant license
|Physician Assistant license renewal fee||$150||per renewal|
|Late Fee||$57||per license renewal (This fee is in addition to renewal fee if renewal is received beyond license expiration date)|
|Handling charge for returned checks||$23||per check|
How to renew Renew your physician assistant license
Renew online up to 90 days before expiration.
Paper renewal forms are available by request at email@example.com.
When completed, this application and fee can be mailed to:
Mass Department of Public Health
Bureau of Health Professions Licensure
Board of Registration in Physician Assistant
239 Causeway St.
Boston, MA 02241-4394
More info about Renew your physician assistant license
For help in the online renewal process, call the Help Desk at (617) 973-0935.