Log in links for this page

Request A Certificate by Regulatory Board

Please read the directions below before proceeding.

Division of Occupational Licensure

The Details of Request A Certificate by Regulatory Board

What you need for Request A Certificate by Regulatory Board

In Massachusetts, engineering and land surveying businesses must be registered through the Massachusetts Secretary of State's office. You may reach them online or at 617-727-9640. As part of your business registration, the Secretary of State's office will require a Certificate by Regulatory Board form to be signed by the Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors.Please download either the professional corporation form or the LLC form from the Secretary of State’s website; we defer to the Secretary of State regarding any business registration requirements.   Please note that the Massachusetts Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors does not license or otherwise register engineering and land surveying businesses.

Please fill out the form, listing only Massachusetts-licensed engineers or land surveyors and their license numbers. There is a $15 verification fee for each person you include on the form. Do not sign the form.

Upon receipt of the form, the Board will verify whether the Massachusetts-issued license(s) is current, at which time we will sign the form, put the Board's seal on it, and return it to the *MAILING* address you provide. If you have questions about the Certificate by Regulatory Board, please contact Board staff at 617-727-9957 or engineerboard@mass.gov.

To submit the Certificate for the Board’s signature, please refer to the instructions detailed below.

Fees for Request A Certificate by Regulatory Board

As part of the online process, you may also submit the $15 payment electronically for each Massachusetts-licensed professional listed on the form. Please note that there is a convenience fee for all online credit card transactions. There is no fee for online payment by check.


How to request Request A Certificate by Regulatory Board

Request A Certificate by Regulatory Board with ePLACE

Need a Certificate by Regulatory Board to register your business with the Secretary of State’s Office? Use the ePLACE portal to submit a request the Board’s signature on a Certificate by Regulatory Board. 


To submit a request online, you will need an account in ePLACE. If you do not already have an account, you may complete the following steps to create and account and to submit a verification request online:

  1. Visit the ePLACE Portal to register for an account. Detailed instructions on how to create a portal account can be found here.
  2. After you have registered for an account, please login with the username and password that you created.
  3. After logging in with the username that you created, go to the “Manage My Licenses and Permits” tab, and complete the following steps to link your professional license or certification to the registration you just created. (Note: If you are seeking only a Certificate by Regulatory Board, you may skip to #5 below.)

    Linking your license or certification:
    1. Select the “File an Online Application” link
    2. Select the “Link Your Account Portal” link under the search box
    3. Select the “Link your Online Account to an Existing Record” link
    4. Select the proper agency, Division of Professional Licensure (DPL), and when prompted enter your Record ID/license number and the Authorization Code
    5. Link your account using your Record ID/license number (Example: 1234-PL-M1) and the Authorization Code (Example: 1234567899) found on your license renewal form. Or, if you do not have a Record ID and Authorization Code, please contact the Board at 617-727-9957.
  4. Once you have successfully linked your account, go back to the “Manage my Licenses and Permits” page and you should now see your license listed.
  5. On the “Manage my Licenses and Permits” tab, select “File an Online Application.”
  6. File an online application for a License Verification, where you will be prompted to upload the filled-in Certificate by Regulatory Board and provide payment. *Please indicate under Special Instructions "Certificate by Regulatory Board" and provide a mailing address to which the Board will mail the signed certificate (completed certificates cannot be emailed).

Please be sure to include your contact information in the electronic request in the event we have questions for you.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q.  Must all engineers or land surveyors in the firm be licensed in Massachusetts in order for the firm to be registered with the Massachusetts Secretary of State’s Office?

A.  No.  Only the engineers or land surveyors working in Massachusetts must be Massachusetts-licensed engineers.

Q.  Must one of the owners or board of directors be a Massachusetts-license engineer?

A.  No.  However, the firm must designate a Massachusetts-licensed engineer or land surveyor to serve as the person who has Responsible Charge (250 CMR 5.04). Only include the Massachusetts-licensed engineers or land surveyors on the form.

Q.  If there is more than one licensee listed on the form, how do I pay $15 each?

A.  You may submit two requests and refer to the Certificate by Regulatory Board on which both appear; or, you may enter as many mailing addresses as there are licensees on the form, each mailing address will prompt a separate payment.


Downloads for Request A Certificate by Regulatory Board

Contact for Request A Certificate by Regulatory Board

1000 Washington Street, Suite 710, Boston, MA 02118
436 Dwight Street , Springfield , MA 01103