Transfer your registration to a vehicle or trailer purchased from an individual
Contact for Transfer your registration to a vehicle or trailer purchased from an individual
Registry of Motor Vehicles
The Details of Transfer your registration to a vehicle or trailer purchased from an individual
What you need for Transfer your registration to a vehicle or trailer purchased from an individual
To transfer your registration, you will need:
- Completed Application for Registration & Title (RMV-1 Form)
Proof of ownership
After completing the transaction, you will receive a registration certificate with the new vehicle information. The title will be processed and mailed in approximately 6 to 8 weeks. If you have a loan on the vehicle, the title will be mailed directly to your lienholder.
You must obtain a vehicle inspection sticker within 7 days of the registration date.
How to transfer Transfer your registration to a vehicle or trailer purchased from an individual
You must go to a licensed Massachusetts insurance agent to obtain an active insurance policy and have the agent complete, stamp and sign an Application for Registration & Title (RMV-1 Form).
If there is a lien against the vehicle, please make sure the lienholder information is complete and accurate.
The completed RMV-1 must be accompanied by one of the following documents:
The previous owner's Certificate of Title, Dealer Re-Assignment form if applicable, or
- The previous registration and bill of sale for vehicles that are exempt because of their age.
- Take the completed RMV-1 application and supporting documents to the nearest RMV Full Service Center
- The sales tax for a private sale is calculated at 6.25% of the purchase price or the National Automotive Dealer Association (NADA) trade-in value, whichever is higher.
More info about Transfer your registration to a vehicle or trailer purchased from an individual
7 Day Transfer Law
If you own a vehicle or trailer and purchase a new vehicle or trailer from a dealer or purchase a used vehicle or trailer from a private party, you may transfer your registration to the newly acquired vehicle. Massachusetts allows a grace period of seven (7) calendar days from the date you dispose of your previous vehicle to register your newly acquired vehicle.
Under this grace period, the following conditions must be met:
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- The newly acquired vehicle or trailer must be of the same type and have the same number of wheels as the previous vehicle or trailer.
- You must carry the transfer documents, which show the registration number to be transferred, in your vehicle.
- You must have lost possession of or disposed of your previous vehicle.
- The registration plates must be attached to the newly acquired vehicle.
There is no grace period if you do not currently have a registered vehicle or trailer. The RMV does not issue temporary registration plates.