Log in links for this page
- This page, Transfer your registration to a vehicle or trailer purchased from an individual, is offered by
- Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles
Transfer your registration to a vehicle or trailer purchased from an individual
Contact for Transfer your registration to a vehicle or trailer purchased from an individual
Registry of Motor Vehicles
The Details of Transfer your registration to a vehicle or trailer purchased from an individual
What you need for Transfer your registration to a vehicle or trailer purchased from an individual
To transfer your registration, you will need:
- Completed Application for Registration & Title
- Proof of ownership
- Correct fee
After completing the transaction, you'll receive a registration certificate with the new vehicle information. The title will be processed and mailed in approximately 6 to 8 weeks. If you have a loan on the vehicle, the title will be mailed directly to your lienholder.
You must obtain a vehicle inspection sticker within 7 days of the registration date.
Fees for Transfer your registration to a vehicle or trailer purchased from an individual
Please note that registration fees vary by plate type. Refer to the RMV's Schedule of Fees for a list of RMV plate types and fees.
How to transfer Transfer your registration to a vehicle or trailer purchased from an individual
- Go to a licensed Massachusetts insurance agent to obtain an active insurance policy and have the agent complete, stamp and sign an application for registration & title.
- If there is a lien against the vehicle, make sure the lienholder information is complete and accurate.
- The completed application must be accompanied by one of the following documents:
- The previous owner’s certificate of title, or
- The previous owner's registration and bill of sale for vehicles that are exempt because of their age
- Federal and Massachusetts laws require that the seller(s) state the mileage upon transfer of ownership. Also, both buyer(s) and seller(s) are required to sign and hand print their name and date the transfer document. If the previous title has a space for a sales price, the price must be filled in. If the previous title does not have a space for a sales price, a bill of sale showing the sales price must be submitted
Take the completed application and supporting documents to the RMV Service Center.
Please note that WEDNESDAY mornings between 9:00am & 10:00am are reserved for SENIOR CITIZENS. WALK IN SERVICES FOR THIS REGISTRATION TRANSACTION IS ONLY AVAILABLE DURING THIS TIME FOR THOSE CUSTOMERS OVER 65 YEARS OF AGE.
Customers are encouraged to continue to conduct RMV registration transactions by working through their insurance agents and auto dealers who are able to complete bulk transactions in-person through Business 2 Business (B2B) services (Chicopee RMV is strictly a B2B location and walk-ins cannot be conducted), electronically use the Electronic Vehicle Registration (EVR) Program.
Individual registration drop-off services, which temporarily replaced B2B services during the State of Emergency, will no longer be available at RMV Service Centers.
The sales tax for a private sale is calculated at 6.25% of the purchase price or the National Automotive Dealer Association (NADA) trade-in value, whichever is higher.
More info for Transfer your registration to a vehicle or trailer purchased from an individual
7 Day Transfer Law
Grace Period for Registration Transfers after Vehicle Purchase:
If you own a vehicle or trailer and purchase a new vehicle or trailer from a dealer, or purchase a used vehicle or trailer from a private party, you may transfer your registration to the new vehicle. Massachusetts allows a grace period of seven (7) calendar days from the date you dispose of your previous vehicle to register your new vehicle.
Under this grace period, the following conditions must be met:
- You must be at least 18 years old
- The new vehicle or trailer must be the same type and have the same number of wheels as the previous one
- You must carry the transfer documents, which show the registration number to be transferred, in your vehicle
- You must have lost possession of or disposed of your previous vehicle
- The registration plates must be attached to the new vehicle
There is no grace period if you do not currently have a registered vehicle or trailer. The RMV does not issue temporary registration plates.