Important Changes MCSR is Available Online Memo
Contact for MCSR is Available Online Memo
Massachusetts Controlled Substances Registration
Table of Contents
We are excited to inform you that as of January 7, 2019 at 10am, the MCSR system has moved to an online system (eGOV) for physicians, dentists, advanced practice nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and CDTM pharmacists. These MCSR types are now able to apply for and renew their MCSRs online! Supervising physicians are also able to attest, online through the eGOV portal, that they have written prescriptive guidelines in place with their advanced practice providers (APRNs, PAs, and CDTM pharmacists).
Physicians creating an eGOV Account: Enter your date of birth and social security number to create an account and retrieve your MCSR information on file.
Physicians who supervise advanced practice providers (APRNs, PAs, and CDTM pharmacists):
- Will need an eGOV account to attest, online, that you have written prescriptive guidelines in place with their advanced practice provider(s). The queue of advanced practice providers awaiting your approval can be found can be found in eGOV.
- To view your supervisees, please visit Check-A-License, select Massachusetts Controlled Substance Registration as the license type, and search for your name and MCSR number.
- Please ensure you renew your MCSR in a timely matter. Your advanced practice provider(s)’s MCSR is tied to your MCSR.
- If your MCSR expires, the advanced practice provider’s (APP) MCSR will automatically be updated to pending supervisor and all prescribing, dispensing, ordering, storing, and/or administering controlled substances activities must be suspended.
- To minimize the impact for APPs, roughly 30 days before a supervising physician’s expiration date, both the supervising physician and APP will be notified.
- In a scenario where an APP has multiple supervising physicians and one supervising physician's MCSR expires while all others stay active, the APP will receive the aforementioned communications, but will not be updated to pending supervisor.
Dentists, advanced practice nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and CDTM pharmacists: Use the same eGOV account you use to apply for and renew your board license(s).
The online system boasts faster application processing, credit/debit transactions, and daily updates of MCSR status through Check-A-License for both registrants and the public. MCSR registrants will also notice that the MCSR certificate is now wallet-sized.
For registrants who have already submitted a paper initial or renewal application and are awaiting application processing, please do not submit an online application. We are actively working on processing the paper applications we received during the system upgrade period. We have added staff to ensure that we can process your application as quickly as possible.
We are also working on system upgrades to migrate the remaining MCSR registration types online. These registration types include: facilities, optometrists, podiatrists, researchers, and veterinarians. We are also planning some enhanced functionality. We look forward to keeping you updated on the phased implementation of MCSR automation.
Please note, paper initial applications are still available on the MCSR website. Paper renewal applications are available by request for physicians, dentists, advanced practice nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and CDTM pharmacists. Please contact: email@example.com or call the Bureau Help Desk at (617) 973-0935 to request a paper renewal application to be mailed to you.
Ryan Walker, MPA
Massachusetts Controlled Substance Registration