Civil Commitment

This page contains resources related to Civil Commitments. Physicians and certain licensed mental health professionals can initiate emergency mental health commitments, called Section 12. Individuals (such as family members) can ask the court to order an emergency mental health commitment, called Section 12 (e) or a commitment for treatment of alcohol or substance use disorder, called a Section 35, by speaking to a clerk in the court.

Table of Contents

Statewide Resources

For more information regarding Section 12, visit the Section 12 page on the MA Legislature website, and for Section 35 visit the Section 35 page on

Help Us Improve  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.