Log in links for this page

CORI Frequently Asked Questions

These are some common CORI related questions and answers.

Table of Contents


How can I request a copy of my own CORI?

To request a copy of your Massachusetts Adult CORI using the iCORI system you must have a valid Massachusetts Drivers License or Identification Card. If you have one, click here to create a new iCORI account or to access an existing one.

If you do not have a valid Massachusetts Drivers License or Identification Card you will need to make your request using the paper Personal Request Form. You can access the form here.

What should I do if I can’t afford the $25.00 fee?

If you are placing your request online using the iCORI system you can indicate you need an  indigency waiver when submitting your request. You can access the form here.

How long will it take for me to get my CORI?

Processing can take up to 10 business days, however, most CORI requests are processed in a shorter amount of time.

I no longer need or want the CORI request I have submitted, can I cancel it?

No. Once submitted requests cannot be cancelled.

I accidentally submitted the same request twice or my request has a typo, can I receive a refund?

No. As outlined in the Terms and Conditions, DCJIS is not responsible for any entry errors or duplicate submissions.

How can I seal my Massachusetts criminal record?

 The DCJIS does not have the legal or technical authority or ability to seal records. To see if you are eligible to seal your record and to learn how click here.  If you have additional questions, you must contact the Massachusetts Office of the Commissioner of Probation at (617) 557-0225.

How can I get an apostille for my Certified CORI?

You will need to contact the Massachusetts Secretary of State’s Office. Information on obtaining an apostille is also available on the Secretary of State’s website. Click here to visit the website.

If I request a CORI what can of information can I expect to receive back?

The type of information received in response to a CORI request will depends on why you are requesting the CORI and what information, by law, you are authorized to see. For a full explanation of the available levels of CORI access, click here.

 My CORI has information that I believe is incorrect. How can I fix it?

If you believe there is incorrect information on your CORI report, depending on the issue, you may need to contact the court where your charge() was arraigned or the Commissioner of Probation.

You can learn more about the process to correct an incorrect CORI and who to contact here.

It is important to note that although DCJIS does disseminate CORI results, it is not the agency responsible for the information contained in a CORI result.


I created an iCORI account to request my own CORI, but it gives me the option for “Personal Self & Open Access”. Which one do I select?

When creating an iCORI account, you will have the option for both “Personal Self” & “Open Access’.  The “Personal Self” is a selection that you will make when you are requesting your own CORI.  Open Access should be used to request a CORI on someone else.

If you are making your request using the Personal Request Form you will need to complete an Affidavit of Indigency form and include that with you request. The Affidavit of Indigency can be downloaded here. The Affidavit of Indigency applies only to Personal Requests Forms. .

 I submitted a request; how can I see the results?

To view your iCORI results, you will need to log in to your iCORI account and then click on the “View Results” tab. 

It is important to note that process can take up to 10 business days and that you will not be notified when the results of your CORI request are available.

How long will CORI results be available in my account?

Results you requested will be available to you for 6 months.

My iCORI requests are showing as Pending, how long will it take for the results be returned?

Most results are returned within a few minutes or a few days, however, processing can take up to 10 business days.

The Account Activation Link I received in the Activation Email isn’t working. What do I do?

Account Activation Links are only good for 24 hours. If it has been more than 24 hours you will need to request a new Activation Email be sent to you. You request a new Activation Email, or report any other issues related to your Activation Link by calling 617.660.4640 or by sending an email to iCORI.info@mass.gov

I forgot my iCORI username or password. What do I do?

You can receive your username or reset your password by going to the iCORI login page and then selecting either Retrieve Username or Retrieve Password. Follow the provided prompts to complete the request and an email with your username or temporary password will be sent to the email address listed with your account.

I need to register for a second iCORI account. Can I use the same email address?

No. Once an email address is registered with an iCORI account it cannot be used or associated with another account. If you need to create a second account, you will need to use a different email address.

 How do I change the email address on my account?

To change the email address on your iCORI account, log in to your iCORI account, then select the “Manage Accounts” tab, and then click on the “Change Email” link.


CORI Compliant process

Do I need an attorney to file a CORI compliant?

No. You may file a complaint either pro se (on your own) or with the assistance of an attorney. The DCJIS

cannot provide legal advice to individuals seeking to file a complaint. Therefore, you must seek your own legal counsel if you have questions or concerns about filing your specific complaint.

If I file a compliant against a person or organization, will they know that I have filed a compliant against them?

Yes. Investigations into complaints include contacting the party alleged to have committed a violation for a response.

If I file a compliant on someone else’s behalf?

No. CORI complaint forms must be completed by the individual that is the subject of the complaint. Please note, however, that an attorney may represent you in the complaint process and, in this case, can complete the complaint on your behalf.

How do I submit my Compliant?

Complaints can only be filed via U.S. Mail or online. Click here to file online.

Faxed or emailed Complaints will not be accepted.

I filed my Complaint, what happens next?

Once a complaint has been filed, the Department of Criminal Justice Information services (DCJIS) will begin the process of investigating your Compliant. During the investigation, the DCJIS will not be able to share any specific details regarding the compliant.  If it is determined that the CORI information was accessed and a hearing may be held on the matter, and you may be called to testify as a witness. Once the case is closed, you will be notified of the Criminal Record Review Board’s finding; violation or no violation and fines or sanctions issued against the respondent(s).

I think someone knows information in my CORI, but my CORI is not available in public records and I have not told them any details about my CORI? What type of Compliant form should I use?

You should use the Improper Access To, and/or Dissemination Of, CORI Complaint Form. Click here to download it.

I applied for a job and was denied based on my CORI. The organization did not provide me with a copy of the CORI they received and did not give me the chance to see if what the organization received was correct. They told me to request my own CORI to see what is on it. Can I file a complaint?

Yes. You can complete and submit a CORI Regulatory Violations Complaint Form. Click here to download. Generally, under the provisions of the CORI law and regulations, an organization that is inclined to make an adverse decision on the basis of a CORI is required to provide the subject with the opportunity to dispute the accuracy of the CORI. The organization is also required to provide the following information: (a) a copy of the CORI; (b) information regarding which part of the CORI makes the person ineligible for the position; (c) a copy of the organization’s CORI policy; and (d) DCJIS’ information regarding the process for correcting a CORI.


Q: What questions about my CORI can a possible employer ask me on an application or in an interview?

Questions and/or complaints regarding the types of questions that can be asked about your CORI in the employment context fall within the purview of the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination (MCAD).  To learn more about this topic and about how to file a complaint, please visit the MCAD website at:  www.mass.gov/mcad

Q: During an interview I was asked about my CORI? I do not know where the employer got that information, do I have the right to know?

Yes. The CORI law (M.G.L. c. 6, s. 171A) requires an interviewer to identify the source of the CORI to the applicant prior to questioning him/her about the information. If you were not provided with this information, you may file a regulatory violation complaint with the DCJIS using the CORI Regulatory Violations Complaint Form. 

Self Audits

Can I find out who has requested a CORI check on me?

Yes. To see who has requested a CORI check on you will need to request a CORI Self Audit. Click here to get more information on the process.

Self-Audits will include requests only by non-law enforcement agencies, such as hospitals, schools, housing authorities and employers. Any CORI requests made by law enforcement or criminal justice agencies will not be included.

Is there a fee for a Self-Audit and how often can I request one?

You can request a self audit free of charge once every 90 days. There is a $25.00 fee for any additional self audit requests made within 90 days. The fee must be paid via cashier’s check or money order and must be made out to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. There is no fee waiver for self audits.

I received the results of my Self Audit request and there are CORI requests listed that I didn’t authorize. What should I do?

If the results of your self audit include CORI requests that you did not authorize, you may file a complaint with the DCJIS. You may use the CORI Regulatory Violations Complaint Form for this purpose. Click here to download the form

Help Us Improve Mass.gov with your feedback