Latest vaccine update in MA
We are currently in Phase 1 of the MA COVID-19 vaccine distribution timeline.
- As of January 13, individuals currently eligible for vaccination in Phase 1 can visit mass.gov/CovidVaccineMap to view vaccine locations, including mass vaccination sites, sign-up and eligibility information. Sites will continue to be added with appointments released on a rolling basis.
- Beginning January 18, staff and residents of congregate care settings, such as shelters and prisons, will be vaccinated. More: COVID-19 Vaccinations for Congregate Care Settings.
- On January 13, the state distribution plan was updated, adding residents and staff of public and private low income and affordable senior housing in Phase 2, Group 1. More: COVID-19 Vaccinations for Senior Housing Settings.
- Vaccinations continue for first responders including EMTs, police, and fire. More: mass.gov/FirstResponderVaccine.
- Vaccination continues for residents and staff of long term care facilities through the Federal Pharmacy Partnership Program.
- A state vaccination dashboard includes a variety of data on doses administered.
Vaccine-related press releases
- January 4, 2021:
Baker-Polito Administration Outlines Vaccination Plans for First Responders, Provide Vaccine Update
- December 24, 2020:
New weekly public dashboard to detail COVID vaccination in Massachusetts
- December 15, 2020:
Baker-Polito Administration Announces Vaccine Update, New Holiday Guidance
- December 9, 2020:
Baker-Polito Administration Announces Initial Steps for COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution
Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine
- FDA issued Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for the second COVID-19 vaccine on December 18, 2020
- Massachusetts COVID-19 Vaccine Safety and Efficacy Evaluation Task Force Memo, published December 21, 2020: Evaluation of Safety and Efficacy Data for Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine mRNA-1273
Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine
- FDA issued Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for the first COVID-19 vaccine on December 11, 2020
- Massachusetts COVID-19 Vaccine Safety and Efficacy Evaluation Task Force Memo, published December 14, 2020: Evaluation of Safety and Efficacy Data for Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine
Additional information for providers: FDA Emergency Use Authorization (EUA)
- Sign up for COVID-19 and vaccine alerts
- The CDC provides frequent updates on this Frequently asked questions about COVID-19 vaccines webpage.
Weekly COVID-19 Vaccination Report
Updated each Thursday by 5pm.
This weekly report features information on COVID-19 vaccine supply distribution, administration, and other data for Massachusetts. Key metrics include:
- Number of doses of vaccine shipped and administered;
- Number of people vaccinated;
- Vaccine distribution numbers by county;
- Age and race/ethnicity breakdowns of those receiving vaccines; and
- Vaccines administered by different types of providers
Vaccine distribution timeline
The Baker-Polito Administration and the Department of Public Health developed a vaccine distribution timeline after extensive consultation with the Massachusetts Vaccine Advisory Group, made up of leaders from health care, the faith community, community organizations, local government, and others.
The timeline reflects several priorities: protecting our most vulnerable, maintaining health care system capacity, and addressing inequities in health care access and COVID-19 burden.
Vaccine distribution in MA will occur in a phased approach. Learn more about the distribution timeline here.
Massachusetts Interim Draft COVID-19 Vaccine Plan and Executive Summary
On September 16, the CDC released its COVID-19 Vaccination Program Interim Playbook and template, requiring all U.S. states to submit an Interim Draft COVID-19 Vaccine Plan by October 16, 2020.
As the CDC continues to update the playbook with new information, the MA plan will be updated accordingly, culminating in a final detailed implementation plan once a COVID-19 vaccine becomes available.
On October 26, Massachusetts submitted its COVID-19 Vaccination Plan Executive Summary.