Am I eligible to receive this grant?
All FCCs, regardless of subsidy contract or enrollment, are eligible to apply for and receive an FY21 Facilities Grant if they also meet the following criteria:
- Be a licensed Family Child Care program
- Have opened by and is in operation as of March 29, 2021
EEC intends the federal funding appropriated to MA through the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations (CRRSA) and federal American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) to be available to all licensed child care programs based on the Commonwealth Cares for Children (C3) funding formula which is currently in development. More information on this opportunity will be available soon.
Grant Awards: How much will my program be awarded?
Eligible FCC programs will be awarded one lump sum payment of $3,000.
Is this a competitive grant?
This is not a competitive grant. ALL applicants who meet defined eligibility criteria will receive funding.
How does the school-age remote learning add-on work?
FCC educators serving at least one school-aged child during remote instruction from the beginning of the 2020-2021 school year to March 29, 2021 are eligible to receive an additional $150.00. The online application will contain a “Yes” or “No” question related to remote learners.
My licensed capacity has changed, can I apply based on my previous licensed capacity?
Grant award amounts are not dependent on licensed capacity. All Family Child Care providers who meet the eligibility requirements will receive $3,000.
How will the funds be distributed?
EEC will distribute funds to CCR&Rs and FCC Systems, which will be responsible for distributing funds directly to each program. If you do not have an existing relationship with a CCR&R or FCC System, directions to receive your funding through a CCR&R will be provided to you after submitting your application.
What can I spend the grant funds on?
Facilities Grants should be used to improve licensed child care space to maximize health and safety protocols, to pay for emergency repairs to licensed space, or to invest in quality improvement purchases.
Grant funds may be spent on:
Health and safety improvements such as:
- Modifications to improve indoor air quality like replacing existing HVAC or air ventilation systems or replacing or repairing windows to maximize fresh air circulation
- Installing hand-washing sinks
- Improving or creating clearly delineated entrances or isolation space
- Reconfiguring existing space to promote physical distancing
- Enhancing licensed outdoor space to maximize time in open-air environments for children
Emergency repairs that impact the health and safety of program space such as:
- Needed roof repairs
- Upgrading or installing security/intercom systems
Quality improvements such as:
- Preparing new space to become licensed
- Installation of in-wall wiring for computer networks
- Purchase of learning materials
- Supporting FCC Assistants through bonuses or additional pay
Please note that this is not a comprehensive list of allowable expenditures. Programs may develop their own strategies and approaches to use the funding, as long as it is used to support health and safety or quality improvements.
Can I use the funds to reimburse myself for health and safety improvements ...?
Can I use the funds to reimburse myself for health and safety improvements I have already made or other expenses?
Yes, you may reimburse yourself for money you have already spent since July 2020 on items that fall into the above categories.
I have not yet reopened; can I apply and use the funds to cover the cost of reopening my program?
Programs that have not reopened by March 29, 2021 are not eligible for this grant.