Find a Tax Professional to Help with Your Taxes

You may qualify for free or low-cost tax preparation or legal services near where you live.

A tax professional can help you prepare your taxes or represent you in an appeal or collection case. Some can do both. Here are organizations that may be able to help.

Updated: January 12, 2024

Table of Contents

Free or Low-cost Services

Low Income Taxpayer Clinics (LITC)

There are 4 LITC locations in Massachusetts providing services to taxpayers who are low income or who speak English as a second language (ESL). DOR grants allow these clinics to provide more assistance with state-specific tax issues. The clinics do not provide current year tax preparation services but may be able to help qualifying taxpayers with collection matters, audits, appeals or responses to DOR notices.

  • Boston – Asian American Civic Association (AACA) LITC: (617) 426-9492
  • Boston – Greater Boston Legal Services LITC: (800) 323-3205
  • Jamaica Plain – Legal Services Center of Harvard Law School LITC: (866) 738-8081
  • Lynn – Northeast Legal Aid LITC: (978) 458-1465

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)

Low to moderate-income taxpayers may be eligible for free tax preparation services at an IRS approved VITA location. 

Virtual assistance may be available through


For qualifying senior taxpayers, the AARP Foundation’s Tax Aid Program provides free tax preparation services.

Legal Services

Find free legal representation across the state for low-income individuals.

Massachusetts Bar Association

If you do not qualify for free legal representation, you may contact the Bar Association at or (866) 627-7577 for a referral.

More Resources for Finding Tax Professionals

Many tax professionals are members of organizations that will assist you in finding a professional nearby.

Massachusetts Society of Enrolled Agents

An enrolled agent is a tax practitioner licensed by the U.S. Department of the Treasury to represent any taxpayer (individual, business, corporation or estate) before the Internal Revenue Service and state taxing authorities. Find an enrolled agent in Massachusetts.

Massachusetts Society of Certified Public Accountants

A CPA is an accountant who has satisfied education and experience requirements and successfully completed an exam testing business, auditing and general accounting skills. CPAs are required to continue their professional education to keep up with new rules and regulations. Look for a CPA who specializes in taxes. Find a CPA in Massachusetts.

National Association of Tax Professionals (Massachusetts Chapter)

A paid tax professional will have an IRS Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN) and must include it on the tax returns they prepare. Tax professionals have different levels of representation rights. Some will have unlimited representation rights before the IRS and others will have limited representation rights or may be authorized only to prepare returns. Find a tax professional.

Contact for Find a Tax Professional to Help with Your Taxes

Help Us Improve with your feedback