Frequently asked questions about mortgages and foreclosure

Have a question about your mortgage or foreclosure assistance? Browse answers to the most commonly asked questions from the Attorney General's Office.

What if there is a foreclosure auction scheduled for my home within the next 7 days?

Reach out to the Consumer Assistance Unit at the Massachusetts Division of Banks. You can contact them by calling (617) 956-1501 or by emailing The DOB can make a one-time request on your behalf and can ask the servicer to grant a 30- to 60-day stay in the foreclosure process. This request is not guaranteed to postpone the sale. This stay provides extra time to work out an alternative to foreclosure.

What if I need help applying for loan modification or other options to avoid foreclosure?

There are many free-resources available for homeowners seeking to avoid foreclosure. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has a list of free housing counselors and foreclosure avoidance services. To find a counselor near you, call 1-800-569-4287 or visit HUD's website.

Making Home Affordable (MHA) has information about housing programs and can provide guidance. You can contact MHA by calling (888) 995-4673 or by visiting MHA's website. Making Homes Affordable is an official program of the U.S. Treasury and U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. 

What if my home has already been sold at foreclosure auction, but I have not yet been evicted?

You may want to contact an attorney to get legal help with the eviction process. If you want help finding an attorney, you can contact the Mass Bar Lawyer Referral Service at (617) 654-0400. If you are going to hire an attorney, make sure you understand what the attorney will do and how much the attorney will charge for their services.

Some non-profit legal services agencies in Massachusetts provide free legal help. To find a legal services organization near you visit Massachusetts Legal Assistance Corporation's website. Legal service organizations often income-level limits for assistance.

Do you need help transitioning into a new home? Then, you may want to contact a HUD approved housing counselor. A housing counselor may be able to help with finding rental housing or provide other transition resouces. You can find a counselor near you by calling 1-800-569-4287 or visiting HUD's website.

What if I have applied for a loan modification for my primary residence but am having difficulty communicating with my servicer, or feel that the servicer is being unfair or deceptive?

You may want to file a consumer complaint with the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office.

You may also want to contact the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau by calling (855) 411-2372 or by filing a CFPB complaint

What if I am an elder facing foreclosure, or looking for help with a reverse mortgage?

You may want to contact Homeownership Options for Massachusetts Elders (H.O.M.E.) by calling (800) 583-5337. H.O.M.E. is non-profit agency that assists low-and moderate-income elder homeowners with foreclosure prevention and in- home counseling services.  You can learn more at H.O.M.E.'s website.

Contact   for Frequently asked questions about mortgages and foreclosure

Help Us Improve  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.