Housing assistance and court resources for Brockton, Dedham, Quincy, Stoughton, and Wrentham District Courts

Summary process (eviction) resource information for towns and cities served by the following courts: Brockton District Court, Dedham District Court, Quincy District Court, Stoughton District Court, and Wrentham District Court.

Table of Contents

Important Information (as required under St. 2022, c. 42)

If you are a party to a residential summary process (eviction) case based only on the non-payment of rent, certain protections may apply to you under the law. (See St. 2020, c. 257, as amended by St. 2022, c. 42). Specifically, a residential summary process (eviction) case may be continued (delayed) if:  

  1. the residential summary process (eviction) case is based only on non-payment of rent;
  2. the non-payment of rent was due to a financial hardship related or exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic; and
  3. a tenant proves, to the satisfaction of the court, a pending application for short-term emergency rental assistance.  

In addition, if the three (3) requirements above are met, the court must issue a stay of execution on a judgment for possession (pause a move-out order after a judgment for the landlord). The court must also not enter a judgment or issue an execution (a move-out order) before the emergency rental assistance application has been approved or denied. 

Additional Information about Resources

  • For more information about assistance programs in your area, contact:
    • For the Brockton area:
      NeighborWorks Housing Solutions
      (617) 425-6700
    • For the Dedham, Stoughton and Wrentham areas:
      SMOC: South Middlesex Opportunity Council
      RAFT Program      
      (508) 872-0765
    • For the Quincy area:
      Metro Housing Boston
      (617) 425-6700
  • To obtain assistance by telephone, call 2-1-1
  • MassLandlords Helpline: (774) 314-1896
  • Information about legal help, housing mediation, and agencies that can assist with applications for rental assistance for your area can be found using the Department of Housing and Community Development Resource Locator
  • Online District Court Eviction forms can be found on Mass.gov's Court Forms for Eviction page.  
  • Current court standing orders, information on court forms, and data on evictions in the Trial Court can be found on Mass.gov's COVID-19 eviction information page. 

Court Service Centers

Court Service Centers help people navigate the court system. Centers are available to all court users without lawyers, and there are no income or immigration status requirements. Court Service Center staff can provide legal information, such as how the court works and different options available to you. They cannot provide legal advice.  As of February 28, 2022, Court Service Centers offer in-person and remote services. For more information, go to Mass.gov's Court Service Centers page.

Additional Resources

Date published: March 14, 2024
Last updated: March 14, 2024

Help Us Improve Mass.gov  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.