Your right to request an overpayment waiver
If you have an overpayment of unemployment benefits, you may complete a Request for a Waiver of Overpayment application by logging in to your UI Online account at https://uionline.detma.org/Claimant/Core/Login.ASPX. You can call (617) 626-6800 to have a Request for a Waiver of Overpayment application mailed to you.
You can apply for a waiver of overpayment at any time. If you apply for a waiver, we will not take action to collect on your overpayment until we make a decision on your waiver request.
How to apply for a waiver
It is important that you either file the application online or call to ask for DUA to send you a copy. The DUA application has bar-coded information that assists us in processing your application.
Reasons an overpayment waiver may be granted
DUA has authority to waive an overpayment if:
- The overpayment was not your fault; and
- Your income is less than your expenses; or
- You used the money for things that were not ordinary expenses, like paying off a debt; or
- You gave up other money (such as welfare payments) because you got unemployment benefits; or
- You receive certain income-eligible benefits such as TANF or similar benefits.