• This page, MassHealth Sexual and Reproductive Health Services for Members, is   offered by
  • MassHealth

MassHealth Sexual and Reproductive Health Services for Members

MassHealth is here to help you with your sexual and reproductive health. MassHealth pays for many services like birth control, counseling for family planning, and testing and treatments for sexually transmitted infections. We also pay for your care during pregnancy, delivery, and for the 12 months after delivery.

Table of Contents

The people who give sexual and reproductive health services or help with family planning include:

  • your primary care provider,
  • a doctor called an “OB/GYN,” or
  • a certified nurse midwife.

To get help with sexual and reproductive health services, you can call one of them or your health plan. You can also find a family planning provider in your area on the map at Sexual and Reproductive Health Service Locations.

You can talk to these providers about any health concerns or symptoms you are having. They can let you know about tests and treatments that may be right for you.

What MassHealth pays for (Covered services)

Emergency contraception and abortion

We support your choices about if and when you want to have a baby. Emergency contraception (EC) and abortion are legal in Massachusetts. With emergency contraception, you can prevent pregnancy after sex. An abortion ends a pregnancy. Go to the web page, The facts about emergency contraception | Mass.gov, to learn more.

Warning: Places called “crisis pregnancy centers” or “pregnancy resource centers” are not part of MassHealth, and they don't offer the reproductive health services described above. See the warning from the Massachusetts Department of Public Health for more information.

Family planning services

  • Counseling for birth control to understand your options.
  • Prescriptions for you to get birth control pills, patch, ring, or injection. You can ask your doctor for a 12-month supply of birth control pills (learn about the Massachusetts ACCESS law.)
  • Long-Acting Reversible Contraception (LARC), which is birth control that works for a long time and can be changed or stopped when you want.
  • Emergency contraception such as Plan B or the morning-after pill. You can get these at a pharmacy without a prescription.
  • Abortion (ending a pregnancy) with medication or surgery.
  • Permanent sterilization procedures for people who are 18 and older. Sterilization procedures are surgeries that permanently prevent pregnancy. For permanent sterilization procedures, you must sign a consent form and then have to wait 30 days to have the surgery done. This is required by law. See the Resources section below to learn where to get the consent form.
  • Fertility testing if you are having trouble getting pregnant to find out if you have infertility.

Other sexual and reproductive health services

Call us at (800) 841-2900, TDD/TTY:711 with questions or to find out about your MassHealth plan. If you need help understanding what MassHealth pays for (your coverage), you can also contact My Ombudsman. Free support is available in many languages.

You may be able to get free transportation to your medical appointments and other MassHealth covered services if you need it. Talk to your health care provider or click here to learn more.


Date published: May 9, 2024

Help Us Improve Mass.gov  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.