What you need
- Your legal first and last name
- Your legal address
- Either your Social Security number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
- Information from a previous tax return
- If you have a MassTaxConnect account, you will log in. If you are new to MassTaxConnect, you will choose Sign up.
- You will use the “Create my user name” link if you have previously filed taxes in Massachusetts. If you have not, you will use the “Register an individual” link. For this example, we will use an individual who has filed Income taxes in Massachusetts and select the “Create my username”.
- This page will validate your income account by your Social Security Number and one other required field from the list. Choose the “I am an individual who has previously filed taxes in the state of Massachusetts” and then click Next.
- Enter your ID Type, ID and Select an account type that you have previously filed. A question regarding which information you will provide will be displayed. In this example, we will use the information from a previous Income tax return. Click “A tax return amount OR a tax refund amount from 1 of the past 3 Personal Income Tax filed returns. The amount must be greater than $0.” Click Next when the fields have been entered. If you do not have access to your income tax return please call DOR to request a Letter ID which will be mailed to the legal address on file for security purposes.
- Next, you will create your MassTaxConnect Online Profile. Enter the full name of the person who will use the account, as well as a phone number, 4-digit PIN, and email address. Once you have completed this, click Next.
- Here is where you will enter a Username, Password, and a Secret Question and Answer for password recovery assistance. Once you have completed this, click Next.
- If your profile will have access to multiple clients, check the box and click Next. If you do not have clients leave the box unchecked, click Next.
- Verify that the login information that you previously entered is correct. If so, click Submit.
- You will receive a confirmation for your MassTaxConnect account via the device you selected earlier. Return to the Home screen and use your new Username and Password to log in.
- You will be asked to set up the two-step verification to receive a security code when you login. Choose Authentication App, Add Phone or Add Email, click Save.
- Enter the Security Code, click Confirm.
- Select the More tab and then “Add an account type/new location/new license” link in the Access panel.
- Click the box next to "Paid Family and Medical Leave" and click Next.
- Add your business Legal Address and click the "Verify Address" box. When the address has been verified, click Next.
- Enter the date your account should start in the “Enter the date of your first payroll”. If you use a DBA name and/or have a separate address for mailing, enter that information. Depending on your reply to questions, additional questions may be populated. In this example, we will be self-employed. Click Next when finished.
- If there is any information you would like to attach to the account request, you can do so here. It is not required to submit this request. Click submit when you are ready to process your request.
You have now completed registering for a Paid Family and Medical Leave account.
All PFML step-by-step videos and instructions (DOR)
- How to Register for Paid Family and Medical Leave Contributions
For all further questions regarding applying for a Private Plan Exemption or registering your account on MassTaxConnect, please contact DOR at (617) 466-3950 to speak to a PFML representative.