This page, Pandemic EBT (P-EBT), is offered by

Pandemic EBT (P-EBT)

Information about P-EBT, or Pandemic EBT.

P-EBT is a federal program. The Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA), in collaboration with the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE), received approval to operate this program in response to the COVID-19. P-EBT provides food support to help families with children buy healthy food during the pandemic.

For more information, visit (the website is available in 6 languages).

Table of Contents

P-EBT Eligibility & Benefits for K-12

1. Who is eligible for Summer P-EBT benefits?

P-EBT is a federal program created in Spring 2020 to provide additional funds for families to buy food during COVID-19. P-EBT has been extended through summer 2021.

Students are eligible for Summer P-EBT if they:

  • Got P-EBT in the past, OR
  • Were approved by their school for free or reduced-price meals (under the National School Lunch Program).

Note: there is no application for P-EBT. You can apply for free or reduced-price school meals with your school nutrition director or SNAP at DTA Assistance Line at (877) 382-2363 (press 7)to potentially get P-EBT.

2. How do I find out if I am eligible for Summer P-EBT?
If you previously received P-EBT benefits, check your EBT or P-EBT card on the 1st of July and August. If you are newly eligible for P-EBT, you will get a letter in the mail from DTA.  

3. When will I get my Summer P-EBT benefits?
Summer P-EBT benefits will be available on July 1 and August 1.

4. How will I get my Summer P-EBT benefits?
Got P-EBT in the past: Check the DTA EBT card or P-EBT card you already have.

New to P-EBT: Check the mail for a P-EBT car or check for the funds on the DTA EBT card you already have.

5. I lost my P-EBT card. Can I get a new one (replacement card)?
Yes. Visit to request a new P-EBT card. Go to the P-EBT Card Replacement Request page. Enter your information. NOTE: some information is required, like child’s date of birth. The required information will say (required) next to it. Then click submit.

6. How much will I get for Summer P-EBT?
Each student will get $375 in total, in two payments of $187.50 on July 1 and August 1.

7. Will there be more P-EBT benefits?
The federal government extended P-EBT through the summer.

Additional Resources

P-EBT Eligibility & Benefits for Kids 0-5 Years

8. Who is eligible for P-EBT benefits?
The federal government expanded P-EBT benefits to:

1) Households with children 0-5 years old, who ALSO

2) Receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits.

NOTE: Families must receive SNAP to be eligible for P-EBT for kids 0-5 years old. There is no application for P-EBT. Apply for SNAP online at or call the DTA Assistance Line at (877) 382-2363 (press 7). If eligible for SNAP, you may also get P-EBT.

9. How do I find out if I am eligible?
DTA will send you a letter in the mail. You can also check your DTA EBT card on the 25th of each month beginning in March 2021.

10. When will I get my P-EBT benefits?
Starting March 2021, you will receive benefits on the 25th of each month. Benefits will cover the month before. For example, in March you will receive P-EBT for the month of February.

Summer P-EBT will be available on July 25 and August 25.

11. How will I get my P-EBT benefits?
Your household will receive the benefits on their DTA EBT card. Note that your P-EBT will be added to any SNAP on your account – your balance will reflect both.

12. How much will I get?
For school year 2020-2021 P-EBT: Your households will receive either $136.40 a month (fully remote) or $68.20 a month (hybrid), per child. The amount is based on whether MOST school-aged students getting P-EBT are in a hybrid or fully remote learning situation each month.

For Summer P-EBT: Each child will get $375 total, in two payments of $187.50 in July and August.

Using P-EBT Benefits

13. I got a P-EBT card in the mail. How do I activate (PIN) it?
You will need the letter DTA mailed to you with your student’s case number to activate (PIN) the card. The letter was mailed separately from the card. If you lost the letter, visit to view your student’s case number.

Visit for step-by-step guidance on how to activate (PIN) your P-EBT card.

14. Do I have to activate (pin) my student's P-EBT card by a specific date?
We encourage all families to activate each student's P-EBT card as soon as the card is received, but there is no set deadline to activate or PIN the P-EBT card. 
15. Do my P-EBT benefits roll over at the end of the month if I don’t use all of them?
Yes. The money will carry over from month to month. Benefits that are not used for over a year will be removed from the card.

16. How do I check my balance?
If you have a P-EBT card, you can check your balance by visiting Go to the P-EBT Case and Balance Information page (note: on a mobile phone, click on “How Close Am I?” to see the page). There enter you P-EBT card number. Your balance will show below your P-EBT case number. You can also call the number on the back of your P-EBT card (800-997-2555).

If you have a DTA EBT card, you can check your balance on, the DTA Connect mobile app or by calling the number on the back of your card. Note that your P-EBT will be added to any SNAP on your account – your balance will reflect both.

17. Where can I use my P-EBT benefits? What can I buy with them?
You can use your P-EBT benefits at any store that accepts SNAP, including online from Amazon, ALDI, Proce Chopper and Walmart. Most retailers have signs saying they accept SNAP or EBT. 

P-EBT benefits can be used to buy any food that can be bought with SNAP. SNAP eligible food is most foods, except prepared foods and foods sold hot. 

18. Will getting P-EBT impact my family’s ‘public charge’ status?
No. Using P-EBT benefits does not impact your or your child's immigration status. The Public Charge rule does NOT apply to P-EBT benefits.

SNAP benefits are also NOT counted in a Public Charge test. If you are not a US citizen, you can get SNAP for an eligible family member (like your U.S citizen child). 

19. Do P-EBT benefits replace grab and go Summer Eats meal sites?
No. P-EBT benefits supplement grab and go meal sites. They do not replace them. Families can find a meal site in their community through Project Bread's School Meal Site Finder.

20. Can I participate in the Healthy Incentives Program (HIP) with my P-EBT benefits?
No. P-EBT benefits are different than SNAP benefits and cannot be used to receive HIP benefits.

Community Outreach

21. I am a community organization looking to help spread the word on P-EBT. Where can I find flyers and other outreach materials?
Visit for flyers, social media graphics/text, robocall/text/email language in: Arabic, Cape Verdean, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, English, Haitian Creole, Khmer, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish & Vietnamese.

Questions & Extra Food Help

22. Who did I contact for questions on P-EBT?
Call the DTA Assistance Line at (877) 382-2363 or visit

23. I need more food help. Who do I contact?
For other food help, call the Project Bread’s FoodSource Hotline at (800) 645-8333 (TTY 1-800-377-1292).