- Department of Public Health
When you go out, make sure you wear a mask or face covering. Masks slow the spread of COVID-19. They protect you. They protect everyone around you. And they help Massachusetts move in the right direction.
So, Mask Up, Massachusetts!
Learn about the order requiring masks in public places
Governor Baker issued an Order that went into effect on May 6 requiring face masks or cloth face coverings in public places where social distancing is not possible. This applies to both indoor and outdoor spaces. Exceptions include children under the age of 2 and those unable to wear a mask or face covering due to a medical condition. Read the full DPH Guidance and find more detailed information in Frequently Asked Questions - Face Covering.
Tips on the proper use of masks and face coverings
There are many things that you can do to help protect yourself and others from becoming infected with COVID-19. People who show no symptoms of illness may still be able to spread COVID-19. A face covering may help prevent you from spreading COVID-19 to other people.
It is important that you wear these face coverings or masks in situations where it is difficult to maintain a social distance of six feet from others. For example, in a pharmacy or grocery store.
When you wear a cloth mask, it should:
- Cover your nose and mouth,
- Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face,
- Be secured with ties or ear loops,
- Include multiple layers of fabric,
- Allow for breathing without restriction, and
- Be able to be laundered and machine dried without damage or change to shape.
When putting on and taking off a mask, do not touch the front of it, you should only handle the ties or ear straps, and make sure you wash the cloth mask regularly. Wash your hands or use hand sanitizer after touching the mask.
Cloth masks should not be placed on young children under age 2, anyone who has trouble breathing, or is unconscious, incapacitated, or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance.
In addition to wearing a cloth mask you should continue to practice proven methods to protect yourself.
|English||Advisory Regarding Face Coverings and Cloth Masks||Accessible English|
|Spanish||Consejos para Cubrirse la Cara y para el Uso de Mascarillas de Tela||Accessible Spanish|
|Simplified Chinese||有关面罩和布口罩的公告||Accessible Simplified Chinese|
|Traditional Chinese||有關面罩和布口罩的公告||Accessible Traditional Chinese|
|Portuguese||Boletim sobre coberturas para o rosto e máscaras de pano||Accessible Portuguese|
|Haitian Creole||Avi Konsènan Atik pou Kouvri Figi ak Mask an Twal yo||Accessible Haitain Creole|
|Vietnamese||Tư Vấn Về Đồ Che Mặt và Khẩu Trang Vải||Accessible Vietnamese|
- English: Wear a Mask or Face Covering Every Time You Go Out in Public
- Spanish: Use una mascarilla o una cubierta facial cada vez que salga en público
- Portuguese: Use uma máscara ou cobertura de rosto todas as vezes que sair em público
- Simplified Chinese: 请在任何时候前往公共场合均戴口罩
- Traditional Chinese: 請在任何時候前往公共場合均戴口罩
- Vietnamese: Đeo khẩu trang hoặc đồ che mặt bất cứ khi nào quý vị đi ra ngoài ở nơi công cộng
- Haitian Creole: Mete yon mask oswa pwoteksyon figi chak fwa ou soti an piblik