Every nightclub, dance hall, discothèque or bar, with an occupant load of 100 persons or more, shall have one designated crowd manager for every 250 occupants (or portion thereof) who is present in the facility during all hours that it is open to the public.
- The designated Crowd Manager must be trained and tested every three years. This training and testing will be provided on the Internet by the State Fire Marshal at no charge. The training program is now available on-line and can be accessed twenty-four hours a day, 7 days a week.
- The Crowd Manager must complete the Fire and Building Safety Checklist every day the building is open to the public. The checklist insures that the facility is safe to open to the public through a visual inspection of the property conducted each day prior to opening by the trained Crowd Manager.
Crowd manager certification
All nightclubs, dance halls, discothèques and bars with occupancies above 100 must have one crowd manager for every 250 people in the facility while it is open.
- Crowd managers must be trained and tested every three years. There is no charge for the training and testing. The training is available online and is updated frequently. Recertification includes both training and testing.
- Crowd managers must complete the Fire and Building Safety Checklist every day that the building is open to the public.
Crowd managers must:
- Maintain clear paths of egress
- Assure that the facility does not exceed its occupant load limit
- Initiate a fire alarm if necessary and direct occupants to exits
- Assure that audible announcements are made before each program or performance notifying occupants of emergency exit locations
- Complete the Fire and Building Safety Checklist daily before the facility opens.
Checklist items include safety checks of:
- Existing fire alarm and fire protection systems
- Fire extinguishers
- Exits and exit signs
- Interior finishes
- Means of egress
- Crowd control procedures
- Building occupancy limits
Download the Fire and Building Safety Checklist and print copies to be filled out each day. Completed checklists must be kept on file and available to fire and building code officials for at least one year.
Additional Resources for Crowd manager certification
Crowd manager online training program
To become a certified crowd manager you must successfully complete the online crowd manager training program.The training increases staff awareness of factors involved in fires in nightclubs, dance halls, discothèques or bars and includes information about:
- Basic fire safety
- Responsibilities of the crowd manager
- Requirement to complete a Fire and Building Safety Checklist daily
The online training takes about 40 minutes. Users take an online test of the material. If users answer 70% of test questions correctly, they can print a certificate of completion. If not, they can take the exam again. If a users fails the test a second time, they can take the training program again.
If you have technical problems with the online training, please review the Crowd Manager Training FAQ . If you still have problems, complete the Crowd Manager Program IT Support Form and submit it for assistance.