This page, Frequently Asked Questions about Auto Insurance Claims, is part of
This page, Frequently Asked Questions about Auto Insurance Claims, is offered by

Frequently Asked Questions about Auto Insurance Claims

We've put together some of the most common questions about your auto insurance claims

When you are involved in an automobile accident, you rely on your auto insurer to handle your claim properly, fairly, and with as little inconvenience to you as possible. As a policyholder, you can ensure the efficiency of claims processing by doing your part to assist insurers in providing accurate information when the policy is issued, and in the fact-gathering process that follows an automobile accident. If you give false information to your insurer your claim may be denied

Are there any specific time limits for an insurance company to pay for collision or comprehensive claims?

There are no specific time limits for the settlement of claims. Insurance companies are required by law to pay all claims in a prompt and reasonable amount of time. However, what constitutes "prompt and reasonable" may vary from claim to claim. Claims that require special or extended investigation may take longer to resolve. Inclement weather conditions often cause an increase in the number of claims filed and that can delay the process as well. 

My vehicle was declared a total loss following an accident. Is my company required to give me the replacement cost?

When your vehicle is declared a total loss, your insurance company will pay you only the actual cash value of the vehicle as of the date of the loss, not the cost to replace it. Your vehicle's value is determined by the following factors: the retail value for a vehicle of like kind and quality prior to the accident; the price paid for the vehicle plus the value of prior improvements to the vehicle at the time of the accident; the decrease in value of the vehicle resulting from prior unrelated damage which is detected by the appraiser or for which a claim has been paid; and the actual purchase cost of an available vehicle of like kind and quality.

If your vehicle has substantial value because of its exceptional condition such as an antique, classic, or restored auto, you should have it appraised and then insure it for the appraised value.

Do I have to pay an insurance premium after my auto is declared a total loss?

Yes, you must pay an insurance premium even if your vehicle is declared a total loss until such time that you return your license plates to the Registry of Motor Vehicles. Your auto policy terminates when you return the license plates to the Registry of Motor Vehicles (you do not need to physically return the plates to the RMV; you can cancel them online at the RMV's website). If you don't have your license plates because your auto was stolen or because your auto and plates were destroyed in a fire, you must go to the nearest Registry of Motor Vehicles office and obtain a lost or stolen plates receipt. This receipt must be presented to your insurance company in order to cancel your policy and avoid paying any additional premium.

Additional Resources for

May I keep my vehicle if I have a collision, limited collision or comprehensive claim and my insurance company declares it a total loss?

Your insurance company has the option to take title to your vehicle when it issues payment on your claim. The insurer is entitled to any salvage value your vehicle may have. You can, of course, negotiate with your company to purchase your vehicle for the agreed salvaged value.

The body shop is repairing my vehicle after an insured loss. Will my insurance company pay for original equipment manufacturer (OEM) parts?

If the repair of the damaged part impairs the operational safety of the auto, the insurance company will pay to replace it with an OEM part. For non-safety parts, unless your claim occurs during the first 20,000 miles on the auto's odometer, you are not entitled to OEM parts. For autos with more than 20,000 miles, state regulation allows for the replacement of damaged parts with used, reconditioned or after market parts. You can insist on OEM parts, but you will have to pay the difference in cost.

Additional Resources for

An object damaged my windshield and I am unable to determine where it came from. Am I covered for this loss?

Yes, if you have comprehensive coverage you are covered for the loss less the amount of any glass deductible you may have selected.


Can my insurance company deny a claim for damages to my vehicle if the principle place of garaging listed on my application is false?

Yes. The single most important thing you can do to protect yourself from a claim denial is to check that all of the information you provide your insurance company is complete and accurate.

If you or someone on your behalf gives false, deceptive, misleading or incomplete information on any application and if such information increases the insurance company's risk of loss, your company may then refuse to pay claims under any or all of the Optional Insurance coverages of the policy. You must indicate where your car is garaged most of the time, regardless of your listed address. You must also list all the licensed drivers who are likely to operate your vehicle. This includes people who live with you (family and roommates) who do not have their own auto insurance, and also people who use your car on any kind of regular basis.

In the event that you have moved since you filled out your initial application, promptly notify your insurance company and the Registry of Motor Vehicles of your new address.

Is my insurance company required to notify me of its decision to cancel my policy?

Yes. Your company must send you a notice at least 20 days prior to the effective date of the cancellation. A notice sent by regular mail with a certificate of mailing receipt obtained from the Post Office is considered sufficient. Certified or registered mail with a return receipt is no longer required.

What can I do if I actually receive a cancellation notice?

If your policy is being cancelled because you have failed to pay your premium, you must pay your exact outstanding premium immediately to prevent cancellation. If you feel that the cancellation is unjust for any reason, you may submit a written appeal to the Board of Appeal. This must be done prior to the effective date of cancellation.

Additional Resources for

Who is liable for the storage charges on my damaged auto when there is a dispute as to the amount of the claim payment?

The insurance company is responsible for paying storage charges until it makes a reasonable offer to settle the claim. However, if the consumer disputes the amount offered and the company revises its offer, this does not necessarily mean that the original offer was unreasonable. Disputes over what is reasonable can be resolved with your company through the process described in your insurance policy. 

Can an insurance company request a down payment in advance when I purchase or renew an auto insurance policy? And is it possible to pay my premium monthly?

Your insurance company may request up to a 30 percent down payment of the annual premium prior to the issuance of your policy. However, if you were in default in the payment of any premium for automobile insurance during the preceding 24 months, your insurance company can require that you pay 100% of your premium upfront prior to issuing a policy.

Many companies offer an installment payment plan for the balance of the premium. You should check with your agent or company to see what options are available to you.

If I own a vehicle with collision and comprehensive coverage, will my insurance apply to a rental or borrowed private passenger auto?

Yes. Your collision and comprehensive insurance coverages are transferable to a substitute rented or borrowed private passenger auto that is damaged while it is being operated by you or members of your household with the consent of the owner. You should be aware that your coverage is available only if you rent or borrow a private passenger auto in the United States or Canada.

You should also be aware that your policy does not provide coverage for a borrowed or rented truck. If you are renting a truck, you should check with the rental company regarding the purchase of collision and comprehensive insurance. If you are borrowing a truck, make sure you determine whether or not the owner has purchased collision or comprehensive coverage. If the owner does not have insurance, you may be personally liable for any damage to that truck which is the result of your negligent operation. If the use is for business rather than pleasure, call your agent first. Business use is usually not covered under your personal auto insurance policy.

Is my insurance company required to reimburse me for the diminished value of my vehicle after it has been involved in an accident ?

No.  At this time, Massachusetts does not have a law requiring insurance companies to honor diminished value claims.  You can certainly present a diminished value claim to your insurance carrier or to the third party carrier, but the company would not be legally obligated to pay your claim.  Some carriers may consider payment based upon a case by case basis.  In addition, insurance companies may deny your claim based upon the policy language under Part 7 (Collision) or Part 4 (Damage to Someone Else’s Property) which may specifically state that the amount the company will pay does not include any decrease in value as a result from the loss.