Home counseling agencies

Are you a first-time homebuyer opting for a variable or adjustable rate subprime loan? You must complete home counseling.

All home counseling must be completed by an approved third party nonprofit organization. The approved organization of your choice will give you a certificate of home counseling completion.

Massachusetts regulation prohibits lenders from making high cost home mortgage loans without receiving certification from an approved counseling agency.

Home counseling agencies must be approved by one of the following agencies:

  1. United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
  2. Citizens’ Housing and Planning Association (CHAPA)
  3. MassHousing

Use the above links for updated lists of approved counseling agencies.


Tell us what you think