Home Energy Assistance

Get help paying for heating your house or apartment.

Known commonly as Fuel Assistance,  the Low Income Home Energy  Assistance Program (LIHEAP)  provides eligible households  with help in paying a portion of  winter heating bills.

What help is available?

Do you get DTA benefits (SNAP, TAFDC, EAEDC) and need help paying for heat? Apply for the Home Energy Assistance Program to help pay for heating your house or apartment during the heating season, between November 1and April 30 of each year.

When can I apply?

You can apply starting November 1 if applying for the first time. You will get an application in the mail from DHCD if you applied last year and can reapply before November 1. Applications are accepted until April 30, 2022.

Where can I apply?

  • Contact the fuel assistance agency nearest you, listed in this pamphlet below;
  • Call the Heatline at 800‐632‐8175; or
  • Visit mass.gov/hed/fuel.

Additional Resources for

What Verifications (proofs) do I need?

You must show verification of monthly income with your application. You can use a DTA Income Verification Letter:

  • Print the letter on DTAConnect.com or the DTA Connect app (under benefit detail page, click request income verification); or
  • Use the automated prompts on the DTA Assistance Line 877‐382‐2363.

The fuel assistance agency will let you know what else they need to process your application.

Will this reduce my DTA benefit(s)?

No. Fuel assistance does not affect DTA benefits. If you get fuel assistance, you may get more SNAP.

What other help may be available?

Ask your utility company if you are eligible for other discounts.

Help Us Improve Mass.gov with your feedback