More about:

Learn about consumer complaints for businesses

Information for businesses about consumer complaints and the court process, as well as business to business complaints.

30 day demand letters

If you received a 30 day demand letter from a consumer, you have thirty (30) days to respond in writing. You may want to consider offering a settlement early on. The consumer can choose to accept or reject the offer. A settlement can limit the amount you may owe to that person. A court might also find against you if you don’t offer a settlement.

If the court thinks that your offer was reasonable, and the person rejected it, the court may limit the amount you pay. The amount may be limited to what you offered to pay.

Mediation & suing

If you have failed to come to an agreement with the consumer who has the complaint about your business, you have two options:


In this process, an impartial person will try to help you reach a solution both you and the consumer find acceptable. Mediation is voluntary. Both you and the consumer must want to do this.

  • You can apply for mediation through your local consumer group. This group is affiliated with the Attorney General’s Office.

Suing in court:

If the consumer feels your business actions were "unfair" or "deceptive" or resulted in "a loss of money or property, real or personal," the consumer may decide to sue your business through the court system. 

Types of claims:

  • If the claim is below $7,000, Small Claims Court is the least costly option.
  • Larger claims might be more suitable to the District or Superior Court

Business to business complaints

A business suing another business must be involved in trade or commerce. The business being sued must be involved in an “unfair method of competition” or must have engaged in actions that were “unfair” or “deceptive.” That business’s actions must have occurred mainly and significantly inside Massachusetts.

To receive money from a business, that business’s actions must have resulted in a loss of money or property. Or, if one business seeks to simply stop another from doing something, that business’s actions “may have the effect of causing” the loss of money or property.

Going to court (for a 93A matter)

If you have been “served,” you will have an opportunity to file an answer, raise defenses, and file counterclaims. (For a description of steps involved in filing a case, see Represent Yourself in Court; see also Small Claims Information for additional information on filing a small claims case in the District Court.)

You may want to get legal advice if you are going to court. You can find information on hiring a lawyer.

In civil cases other than a small claims case, after the answer is filed, the court will set case management deadlines for the filing of discovery and other motions and set dates for a pretrial conference and a trial. The Massachusetts Rules of Civil Procedure and other court department rules and standing orders govern the process by which a court manages a case.

Settlements & awards

In general, a court may award the consumer $25 or the amount of money they can prove they lost. However, there may be some important exceptions to note:

  • Your business may offer the consumer a settlement in response to the 30 day demand letter. If your business makes a reasonable offer and the consumer turns it down, a court may limit the award to what your business offered.
  • The law allows additional awards when a business “knowingly” or “willfully” does something wrong. A business acts knowingly or willfully when it knows it broke a law or does not fix a problem after being told that it is breaking the law. If the court determines your business acted knowingly or willfully, you may have to pay an award of double or triple (“treble”) damages and may also be required to pay the consumer's legal fees.


Tell us what you think