Successful completion of the recruit officer course (ROC) curriculum is required under M.G.L. Chapter 41 §96B to be a sworn municipal, University of Massachusetts, or environmental police officer in the Commonwealth. The ROC is organized into three (I-III) volumes with multiple subtopics. The ROC takes 20 weeks to complete and covers 21st century policing best practices with specific emphasis on the following core principles:
- problem solving
- procedural justice
- ethical decision making
- fair and impartial policing
All student officers must know what to expect ahead of time and must prepare well in advance of the first day of the academy. The most significant factors in this preparation are: weight control, aerobic capacity, muscular strength and endurance, and flexibility. Download the MPTC Health and Wellness Fitness Preparation Guide to assist with preparing to attend the police academy.
Student officers must (1) be a minimum of 21 years old; (2) be employed or sponsored by a municipal, Environmental, or University of Massachusetts police department or other law enforcement department authorized by the Committee; and (3) successfully complete the Massachusetts Human Resource Division's Physical Ability Test (PAT) and medical examinations.
MPTC ROC Police Academy Schedules
- All student officers must meet the eligibility requirements to enroll
- Tuition is $3,000.00. Learn more about student officer tuition and payments for MPTC-operated police academies.
- All police academies operate daily Monday through Friday. There are no dormitories.
- Registration: Log into MPTC Acadis Portal to register at an MPTC Police Academy. Download the Recruit Officer Course Acadis Registration Guide for Departments.
Note: This is a guide of available seating and may not reflect the true number of seats available that is representative on the MPTC ACADIS TRAINING PORTAL.
- All medical and PAT exams must be valid on Day One of the academy
- It is the Department's responsibility to ensure these exams are up to date
Registration is available on the MPTC ACADIS TRAINING PORTAL.
MPTC-operated Full-time Police Academy Start Dates
|Academy||ROC #||Start Date||Application deadline
|ALL APPLICATIONS FOR ENROLMENT MUST BE DONE THROUGH THE ACADIS PORTAL, APPLICATIONS MUST HAVE ALL THE REQUIRED PRE-REQUISITES COMPLETED AND INCLUDED FOR CONSIDERATION. APPLICANTS ARE SEATED ON A FIRST COME FIRST SERVE BASIS – INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL BE DENIED ALLOWING COMPLETION OF THE APPLICATION. SEATS CANNOT BE HELD OR RESERVED. SEATING AND AVAILABLE SEATING INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE AND UP TO DATE ON THE REGISTRATION PORTAL. ALL WAITLISTED APPLICANTS WILL BE INVITED TO THE ASSESSMENTS TO BACKFILL POTENTIAL OPEN SEATS. (*) = TENATIVE DATES|
Updated: July 20, 2021