MRC Disability Determination Services (DDS) is a division of the Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission (MRC), which is 100% funded by the Social Security Administration (SSA).
Who we are and what we do
MRC DDS disability examiners and medical consultants determine eligibility of Massachusetts applicants for 2 disability programs:
- Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), ages 18 - 65
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI), ages birth - 65
If you think you may be eligible for payments, call (800) 772-1213 to file a claim or contact your local Social Security Office . You must contact the Social Security Administration to apply for benefits. If you are looking for an online application for either SSDI or SSI visit ssa.gov. For an update on case status call the Vocational Disability Examiner (VDE) as identified in your introductory claimant letter.
- Looking for an overview of annual benefits for their case
ssa.gov or 1-800-772-1213
The claims processed by the Massachusetts DDS include:
- Initial applications
- Reconsideration applications — First appeal of a denied initial application
- Continuing Disability Reviews — Periodic reviews to determine if you should continue receiving benefits
- Disability Hearings — Face-to-face informal hearing as a part of the appeal of a Continuing Disability Review cessation determination
- Special outreach efforts are made to homeless shelters and individuals diagnosed with HIV
The DDS has offices in Boston and Worcester.
Consultants at DDS
We employ more than 70 medical and psychological consultants in-house and more than 300 medical and psychological consultants throughout the state to assist us in determining claimants' eligibility for disability benefits under Social Security.