S.A.F.E. - The Student Awareness of Fire Education (S.A.F.E) Program provides grants to local fire departments to work with classroom teachers to teach fire and life safety to kids.
Senior SAFE - The Senior SAFE Program provides grants to local fire departments to support fire and life safety education to seniors, who are at the highest risk of dying in fire in the Commonwealth.
Annual Public Fire and Life Safety Education Conference - The Massachusetts Public Fire and Life Safety Education Conference brings together fire and life safety educators from across the state and the nation to share best practices, techniques, and innovations in educating the public about fire and life safety.
Fire Prevention Week - Each October, the NFPA sponsors Fire Prevention Week to raise awareness about fire safety and to promote fire safety information. Visit the DFS Fire Prevention Week page for more information and resources.
Arson Watch Reward Program Poster Contest - This annual contest is sponsored by the Property and Casualty Insurance Companies of MA and RI. Each year, students are invited to submit entries based on a fire prevention message.
YouTubeTM High School Burn Awareness Video Contest - This annual contest challenges 9 - 12th grade students to create videos that promote burn safety. The contest is co-sponsored by the Massachusetts Property Insurance Underwriting Association (MPIUA) and the Massachusetts Association of Safety and Fire Educators (MaSAFE) to promote burn safety and more.
DFS Fire Safety Handouts - DFS creates and maintains a comprehensive set of fire safety handouts on a wide range of topics. The handouts can be used and shared with seniors, students, and the public. Many of the handouts are available in a variety of languages.
S.A.F.E. Teaching Tools
S.A.F.E. Teaching Tools - The Curriculum Planning Guidebook, S.A.F.E. 3rd, 6th, and 10th grade Student Evaluations, and S.A.F.E. Teacher Evaluations provide all the materials for teaching and evaluating your S.A.F.E. programs.
Educational Resources to Borrow
- Hazard House - Use this prop to teach how to turn a hazardous house into a safer home.
- Cooking Hazard Prop - Use this prop to teach kitchen fire safety.
- Junior Fire Gear - Child sized fire gear.
- Sparky the Fire Dog - Sparky costume adult sized.
- Sprinkler Demonstration Trailer - A burn prop to use for large gatherings to teach about sprinkler use, home escape planning and more.
- Side-By-Side Sprinkler Trailer - A burn prop to use for large gatherings to compare the effectiveness of homes with and without sprinklers in a fire. This is a dramatic demonstration of how sprinklers buy time to escape a fire and minimize damage.
- DFS Library For Public Educators - We have books, DVDs, and curricula for fire and life safety educators to borrow and use to teach all audiences and levels. Contact Cynthia Ouellette to learn more about, and reserve, these resources.
District Fire Safety Houses are available from 15 locations around Massachusetts - Use with large gatherings to teach all aspects of fire safety and prevention. Contact the districts to reserve the prop.
Public Awareness Campaign Toolkits
The Department of Fire Services has several public awareness campaigns to promote fire and life safety. The campaigns each come with toolkits for local fire departments and fire and life safety educators. The campaigns address important fire safety issues and are designed to help people learn to keep themselves and their families safe from fire. It is important for us to communicate a consistent and accurate message about fire safety.