Established under the Massachusetts Electric Utility Restructuring Act of 1997, the Renewable Energy Portfolio Standard (RPS) was amended per the Green Communities Act of 2008. The Green Communities Act spurred the development of three programs, introduced in January 2009:
- RPS Class I (evolved from the original RPS program)
- RPS Class II
- Alternative Energy Portfolio Standard (APS)
The revised and new standards are in the Massachusetts General Laws in Chapter 25A Section 11F (RPS Class I and Class II) and Section 11F 1/2 (APS).
Pursuant to Chapter 75 of the Acts of 2016, DOER developed the Solar Massachusetts Renewable Target (SMART) program.
Please note: All regulations listed on this web page are unofficial. The only official version of each regulation is published in the Massachusetts Register, which is available through the State Bookstore.
Learn about current developments in Regulatory Proceedings.
- RPS Class I Regulation, 225 CMR 14.00 - published July 8, 2016
- RPS Class II Regulation, 225 CMR 15.00 - published June 20, 2014
- APS Regulation, 225 CMR 16.00 - published December 29, 2017
- Solar Massachusetts Renewable Target (SMART) Regulation, 225 CMR 20.00 - published August 25, 2017
Per 225 CMR 14.02, 15.02, 16.02, and 20.02, Guidelines are a set of clarifications, interpretations, and procedures, including forms, developed by DOER to assist in compliance with the requirements of the respective regulation. DOER may issue new or revised Guidelines from time to time. Each Guideline shall be effective on its date of issuance or on such date as is specified therein, except as otherwise provided.
The following documents are Guidelines that are currently in effect and serve to clarify requirements or eligibility criteria set forth in the program regulations.
Retail Electricity Supplier Compliance
Alternative Portfolio Standard (APS)
Combined Heat and Power
- Guideline on Metering and Calculating the Useful Thermal Output for Renewable Thermal Generation Units – Part 1 (Calculations for Small and Intermediate Generation Units)
- Guideline on Metering and Calculating the Useful Thermal Output for Renewable Thermal Generation Units – Part 2 (Metering for Intermediate and Large Generation Units)
- Guideline on Biomass, Biogas, and Biofuels for Eligible Renewable Thermal Generation Units
- Guideline on Multipliers for Renewable Thermal Generation Units
- Guideline on Reduction of Greenhouse Gases for Eligible Renewable Thermal Generation Units Using Eligible Woody Biomass
- Guideline on Biomass Reporting Procedures
Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS)
- Biomass Eligibility and Certificate Guideline
- Overall Efficiency and Greenhouse Gas Analysis Guideline
- Annual Minimum Standard Calculations
- Construction Timeline Affidavit
- Construction Timeline Extensions
- Detailed Construction Costs
Solar Carve-Out II
- SREC Factors
- Extension Guideline
- Small Generation Units FAQ
- Assurance of Qualification
- Calculation of Compliance Obligation
- Definition of Brownfield
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Guideline Regarding the Definition of Low or Moderate Income Housing
- Annual Managed Growth Calculations
- Construction Guideline Affidavit
- Detailed Construction Costs Form