The Young Adult Pheasant Hunt Program builds the confidence of young hunters in a safe, friendly environment. You must sign up with any participating club listed below, each club will have a pheasant seminar and a hunt. You don't need to be a member to participate.
Pheasant Seminar: This course includes hands-on instruction in shotgun shooting fundamentals and firearm safety, how to have a safe and fun hunt, and information on upland hunting basics.
Pheasant Hunt: Participants get to experience a real pheasant hunt under the supervision of an experienced hunter on one of the six Saturdays prior to the regular pheasant season. Please contact the club you are planning on hunting with to see the day they picked for the hunt.
How to Participate
Requirements to Participate in the Program:
- Between the ages of 12 to 17
- Have completed Basic Hunter Education before the day of the hunt.
- Participants at least 15 years old who wish to use a shotgun must have a Firearms Identification Card (FID).
Steps to Participate:
- Make sure you meet all the requirements above
- Find a club near them to participate with for the seminar and hunt.
- Send in the Participant Application form.
- Complete a MassWildlife Youth Pheasant Seminar
- Have a great day hunting pheasants! Please note all other regular pheasant hunting regulations apply, including bag limits, hunting implements, hunter orange requirements, etc. Please review pheasant hunting regulations.
Additional Resources for How to Participate
Attention sportsmen's clubs
The Massachusetts Young Adult Pheasant Program was developed for Sportsmen's Clubs and Related Groups to:
- Provide interested young adults with an opportunity to practice skills (learned in the Hunter Education course) in a program that includes shotgun shooting, pre-hunt field practicum and culminating in a pheasant hunt while supervised by responsible, licensed adult hunters in an enjoyable environment.
- Provide local sporting clubs who want to pass on the traditions of hunting and the great outdoors with tools and guidance in implementing a successful young adult hunting experience.
If you have questions about the program, please contact the Youth Hunt Coordinator Astrid Huseby at (508) 389-6305.
The MassWildlife District office that serves your community can answer questions about possible locations for the Youth Pheasant Hunt if you do not want to hold the hunt at your club:
- Central District - West Boylston (508) 835-3607
- Connecticut Valley District - Belchertown (413) 323-7632
- Northeast District - Ayer (978) 772-2145
- Southeast District - Bourne (508) 759-3406
- Western District - Dalton (413) 684-1646