The Massachusetts Young Adult Pheasant Hunt Program (also called the Youth Pheasant Hunt Program) was developed by MassWildlife to provide an opportunity for Hunter Education graduates aged 12 to 17 to practice firearms safety, develop shooting skills, and participate in a special pheasant hunt under the guidance of a safe, experienced adult hunter.
This program is more than just a day in the field pheasant hunting and is typically divided into 2 or 3 parts, as follows -
Pheasant Seminar: The seminar portion includes hands-on instruction in shotgun shooting fundamentals and firearm safety, how to have a safe and fun hunt, and information on upland hunting basics.
Pheasant Hunt: Participants get to experience a real pheasant hunt under the supervision of an experienced hunter on 1 of the 6 Saturdays prior to the regular pheasant season. This year, the pheasant hunting season starts on October 19, 2019.
Requirements to Participate in the Program:
- Be between the ages of 12 to 17.
- Have graduated from a Basic Hunter Education course (in any state) before the day of the hunt.
- Participants 15 to 17 years of age, who wish to use a shotgun, must have a Firearms Identification Card (FID).
Steps to Participate:
- Make sure you meet all the requirements above.
- Register for a Pheasant Seminar (from the list of participating clubs below) by sending in a Participant Registration Form to the MassWildlife Field Headquarters.
- Complete the Pheasant Seminar you registered for.
- Have a great day hunting pheasants! Please note, all other regular pheasant hunting regulations apply including bag limits, hunting implements, hunter orange requirements, etc. Please review pheasant hunting regulations.
Below is a list of clubs that will be hosting a Youth Pheasant Seminar in 2019. All participants must complete this seminar before the day of the hunt. You do not need to be a member of the club to register or attend this training.
To register for a seminar, choose a club from the list below. Write the name of the club on your Participant Registration Form next to "Club Hosting the Program" and submit your registration form to the MassWildlife Field HQ by mail, email, or fax (see the form). You must register at least 2 weeks before the date of the seminar you choose.
Once your form is received, you will be sent an email confirmation.
|Club and Address||Date of seminar|
After the seminar, when does the youth go on the supervised pheasant hunt?
The participating club the youth completes their pheasant seminar with will select which date their youth participants will hunt on. It will be one of the six Saturdays before the pheasant hunting season starts on October 19, 2019. Contact the club directly for more information.
Attention sportsmen's clubs
The Massachusetts Young Adult Pheasant Program was developed for Sportsmen's Clubs and Related Groups to:
- Provide interested young adults with an opportunity to practice skills (learned in the Hunter Education course) in a program that includes shotgun shooting, pre-hunt field practicum and culminating in a pheasant hunt while supervised by responsible, licensed adult hunters in an enjoyable environment.
- Provide local sporting clubs who want to pass on the traditions of hunting and the great outdoors with tools and guidance in implementing a successful young adult hunting experience.
If you have questions about the program, please contact MassWildlife's Field HQ at (508) 389-6300.
The MassWildlife District office that serves your community can answer questions about possible locations for the Youth Pheasant Hunt if you do not want to hold the hunt at your club:
- Central District - West Boylston (508) 835-3607
- Connecticut Valley District - Belchertown (413) 323-7632
- Northeast District - Ayer (978) 772-2145
- Southeast District - Bourne (508) 759-3406
- Western District - Dalton (413) 684-1646