The Massachusetts Youth Pheasant Hunt Program was developed by MassWildlife to provide an opportunity for Hunter Education graduates aged 12 to 17 to practice firearms safety, develop shooting skills, and participate in a special pheasant hunt under the guidance of a safe, experienced adult hunter.
This program is more than just a day in the field pheasant hunting and is typically divided into 2 or 3 parts, as follows -
Pheasant Seminar: The seminar portion includes hands-on instruction in shotgun shooting fundamentals and firearm safety, how to have a safe and fun hunt, and information on upland hunting basics.
Pheasant Hunt: Participants get to experience a real pheasant hunt under the supervision of an experienced hunter on 1 of the 6 Saturdays prior to the regular pheasant season. This year, the pheasant hunting season starts on October 16, 2021.
Requirements to Participate in the Program:
- Be between the ages of 12 to 17.
- Have graduated from a Basic Hunter Education course (in any state) before the day of the hunt.
- Participants 15 to 17 years of age, who wish to use a shotgun, must have a Firearms Identification Card (FID).
Steps to Participate:
- Make sure you meet all the requirements above.
Register for a Pheasant Seminar by completing the Participant Registration Form (REGISTRATION IS NOT YET OPEN FOR 2021).
- Complete the Pheasant Seminar you registered for.
- Have a great day hunting pheasants! Please note, all other regular pheasant hunting regulations apply including bag limits, hunting implements, hunter orange requirements, etc. Please review pheasant hunting regulations.
All participants must complete this seminar before the day of the hunt. You do not need to be a member of the club to register or attend this training.
NOTE: The 2021 club locations and dates have not been finalized. Please check back in August for the full list of club dates and times.
|Club||Seminar date||Mentored hunt date|
|Norco Sportsman's Club (Princeton)|
|Essex County League, Danvers Fish and Game Club|
|Carver Sportsmen's Club|
|Falmouth Sportsmen's Club|
Attention sportsmen's clubs
The Massachusetts Youth Pheasant Hunt Program was developed for Sportsmen's Clubs and related groups to:
- Provide interested young adults with an opportunity to practice skills (learned in the Hunter Education course) in a program that includes shotgun shooting, pre-hunt field practicum and culminating in a pheasant hunt while supervised by responsible, licensed adult hunters in an enjoyable environment.
- Provide local sporting clubs who want to pass on the traditions of hunting and the great outdoors with tools and guidance in implementing a successful young adult hunting experience.
If you have questions about the program, please contact MassWildlife's Field HQ at (508) 389-6300.
The MassWildlife District office that serves your community can answer questions about possible locations for the Youth Pheasant Hunt if you do not want to hold the hunt at your club:
- Central District - West Boylston (508) 835-3607
- Connecticut Valley District - Belchertown (413) 323-7632
- Northeast District - Ayer (978) 772-2145
- Southeast District - Bourne (508) 759-3406
- Western District - Dalton (413) 684-1646