Instructions for health care, home health, and homemaker organizations to create an account on the new online inquiry system to check the standing of a nurse aide or employee.
Guide Register to access the new Nurse Aide Registry Inquiry System
Table of Contents
The Massachusetts Department of Public Health’s (DPH) Nurse Aide Registry Services (NARS) has transitioned to a new online Nurse Aide Registry Inquiry System (NARIS) for verification of certified nurse aides (CNAs) and healthcare employees who have direct contact with patients or residents. This transition affects all users who are required to access the Registry, including nursing homes and rest homes, as well as home health, homemaker, hospice, and other agencies.
Beginning Monday, September 30, users will only be able to complete required Registry checks through the new online system.
Follow the instructions under “How to Register” below to register for an account. If you need additional assistance, please see the 4 available tutorials on how to register for and use NARIS.
How to register
- Step 1: Navigate a web browser to: nars.dph.mass.gov
- Step 2: Click on "Register as a new user” then complete the registration form
- Step 3: Select “Yes” to indicate you currently use the Nurse Aide Inquiry Response Phone System and enter the Access Code used to access the phone system.
- Step 4: Once you fill in your user information, click on the “Register” button. Accounts are unique to each registered individual. DO NOT share your login credentials with anyone else.
- Step 5: You will be prompted to update select information about your organization. Complete the form as directed and click on “Update Organization Information.” After you update your organization information, your request to create an account will be pending approval by DPH.
- Step 6: Complete and submit the NARIS Access Administrator Contact Form. Please note that failure to return form will result in delay and/or denial of NARIS access.
Tutorials to register for and use NARIS
Need additional help creating an account to access NARIS? Watch these tutorials for step-by-step instructions: Tutorials to register for and use Nurse Aide Registry Inquiry System
Using the Online System
Once the transition to the new online inquiry system is complete, follow these steps to use the new online system:
- Navigate a web browser to: nars.dph.mass.gov
- Use your Email and Password to login to the Nurse Aide Registry Inquiry System.
- Click on LOOKUP EMPLOYEE STATUS.
- Enter the Social Security Number (SSN) of the person for whom you are searching. Select the “Search” button.
- Select the “Print Results” button to print a copy of your search results. Repeat Step 4 to search for another individual.
You may also reference the NARIS External User Manual.