Contact for Apply for a dental hygienist license as a dental student
Board of Registration in Dentistry
The Details of Apply for a dental hygienist license as a dental student
What you need for Apply for a dental hygienist license as a dental student
We must have these attachments to process your application.
Proof of completion of 4 full semesters at a CODA-accredited dental school
- Original transcript with school seal must be included with application
- Photocopy of transcripts are not acceptable
National Board Certification Part I
- A photocopy of your National Board Part I scores is acceptable
Proof of Regional or State Clinical Examination
- Proof of successful completion of a regional or state clinical dental hygiene examination
- Proof of your CDCA scores isn't necessary, as those scores are sent directly to the Board
- Examination and signed statement from your primary care physician, physician’s assistant, or nurse practitioner that you are medically cleared to practice dental hygiene. The exam must have been completed within 12 months of application
Documentation of certifications
Either one of the following documents:
- Current certification in American Red Cross Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation/Automated External Defibrillation for the Professional Rescuer (CPR/AED), or
- Current certification in American Heart Association Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers (BLS)
Massachusetts Dental Ethics and Jurisprudence Exam
- Answer sheet only
- Request a copy here
Letters of Standing
- Official verification of professional licensure from each state or jurisdiction in which you now hold, or ever have held, a license
- The official letter must include the current status of your license, license number, the official seal and signature of the jurisdiction’s licensing board, and any disciplinary action taken
- Photocopy of a license is not acceptable
- A copy of a screen shot from the jurisdiction’s licensing board website is also not acceptable
- If you have ever practiced dentistry or dental hygiene in another jurisdiction or state, please include an up-to-date resume or practice history
National Practitioner Data Bank Self-Query
- Attach if you have ever held a professional healthcare license in the United States
- To request a self-query please contact the Data Bank at (800) 767-6732 or go to the NPDB website
- The Data Bank will mail the report to you. A copy of the original NPDB report is acceptable.
Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) Acknowledgment Form
- Only if you have answered “yes” to any of the questions in the Good Moral Character Questions
- This form is attached in the application
- This must be signed in person, and witnessed by either a BHPL employee at the Board's offices or a notary public
- The BHPL employee or notary public must verify your identity through acceptable identification
A photo of yourself
You will need to attach, where indicated, a color photograph, passport-sized (2” x 2”) or larger.
Good moral standing
On the application, you must get signatures from 2 licensed dentists or dental hygienists who are familiar with your character and quality.
- The dentists and dental hygienists don't need to be licensed in Massachusetts
- Immediate family members or close relatives can't sign as to your character and quality
You must sign the affidavit on the application and have it witnessed by a Notary Public.
Fees for Apply for a dental hygienist license as a dental student
- We accept personal checks, business checks, or money orders. Make it payable to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- All fees are non-refundable and non-transferable
- Please don't staple payment to the application
- Please don't send cash
|Initial Student Dental Hygienist Licensure Fee||$60||each|
How to apply Apply for a dental hygienist license as a dental student
- Make sure you read the above requirements
- Download the Licensure of Dental Students as Dental Hygienists application, found below
- Fill out the application
- Include all required and necessary attachments
- Mail the completed application(s) and all attachments to:
The Massachusetts Board of Registration in Dentistry
239 Causeway St.
Boston, MA 02114