Apply for a dental license
Contact for Apply for a dental license
Board of Registration in Dentistry
The Details of Apply for a dental license
What you need for Apply for a dental license
You must submit all required documents before we can process your application and issue your license.
Proof of Graduation from a CODA-accredited dental school
- Either of the following:
- Original transcript with school seal indicating your date of graduation and degree awarded
- Original signed letter from the Dean or registrar indicating your date of graduation and degree awarded
- Photocopies are not accepted
National Board Certification Part I and II
An official, original copy of your National Board certificate indicating your passing score on all sections of the exam, OR
Authorization to the National Boards releasing your scores to Massachusetts
Proof of Regional or State Clinical Examination
- Proof of successful completion of a Board-approved exam
An official, original copy of your Board-approved exam scores, OR
Authorization to the Board-approved exam releasing your scores to Massachusetts
- Examination and signed statement from your primary care physician, physician’s assistant or nurse practitioner that you are medically cleared to practice dentistry. The exam must have been completed within 12 months of application.
Documentation of certifications
Either one of the following documents:
- Current certification in American Red Cross Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation/Automated External Defibrillation (CPR/AED) for the Professional Rescuer
- Current certification in American Heart Association Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers (BLS)
Massachusetts Dental Ethics and Jurisprudence Exam
- Answer sheet only
- Request a copy here
Letters of Standing
- Official verification of professional licensure from each state or jurisdiction in which you now hold, or ever have held, a license
- The official letter must include the current status of your license, license number, the official seal and signature of the jurisdiction’s licensing Board, and any disciplinary action taken
- A photocopy of a license is not acceptable
- A copy of a screen shot from the jurisdiction’s licensing Board website is also not acceptable
- If you have ever practiced dentistry in another jurisdiction or state, please include an up-to-date resume, curriculum vitae or practice history
National Practitioner Data Bank Self-Query
- Attach if you have ever held a professional healthcare license in the United States
- To request a self-query please contact the Data Bank at (800) 767-6732 or go to the NPDB website
- The Data Bank will mail the report to you. A copy of the original NPDB report is acceptable.
Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) Acknowledgment Form
- Only if you have answered “yes” to any of the questions in the Good Moral Character Questions
- This form is attached in the application
- This must be signed in person, and witnessed by either a BHPL employee at the Board's offices or a notary public
- The BPHL employee or notary public must verify your identity through acceptable identification
A photo of yourself
You will need to attach, a color photograph, passport-sized (2” x 2”) or larger.
Good moral standing
On the application, you must get signatures from 2 licensed dentists who are familiar with your character and quality.
- The dentists do not need to be licensed in Massachusetts
- Immediate family members or close relatives can't sign as to your character and quality
You must sign the affidavit on the application and have it witnessed by a Notary Public.
Fees for Apply for a dental license
- We accept personal checks, business checks, or money orders. Make it payable to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- All fees are nonrefundable and nontransferable
- Please don't staple payment to the application
|Initial Dentist Licensure Fee||$660||each|
How to apply Apply for a dental license
- Make sure you read the above requirements
- Download the Dental Licensure Application by Examination, found below
- Fill out the application
- Include all required and necessary attachments
- Mail the completed application(s) and all attachments to:
The Massachusetts Board of Registration in Dentistry
239 Causeway St.
Boston, MA 02114
More info for Apply for a dental license
NOTE: All license applications will remain open for only one year from initial application date.