More about:

Apply for a motorcycle (Class M) learner’s permit

To legally ride a motorcycle in Massachusetts, you must first apply for a motorcycle learner’s permit.

Registry of Motor Vehicles

The Details

What you need

To get a motorcycle (Class M) learner's permit you must:

  1. Decide what type of driver's license you want – a REAL ID Massachusetts Driver’s License (valid for federal purposes) or Standard Massachusetts Driver’s License (not valid for federal purposes). Go to our website at to decide
  2. Complete your application online
  3. Bring your required identification and completed application to an RMV Service Center


In addition, you must be at least 16 years of age.



Name Fee Unit
Permit Application Fee $30 each

How to apply

Bring all required documents, fees, and the completed application to any RMV Service Center. At the time of your learner’s permit exam, you must also pass an eye screening for field vision and basic colors.

Next steps

Learner's Permit Exam

The Class M learner's permit exam is available on a walk-in basis during regular RMV service center hours until one hour before the service center's closing time. You will be given 25 minutes to complete the exam. The exam consists of 25 questions. You must answer 18 questions correctly in order to pass. The exam will consist of questions on rules of the road, consequences of driving under the influence of drugs/alcohol, the Junior Operator Law, sharing the road with the visually impaired, and sharing the road with bicyclists and pedestrians.


More info

Parental consent

If you are under 18 years of age, you must obtain the written consent of a parent, legal guardian, Department of Children and Families, or boarding school headmaster. Written consent must be given by signing the Class D, M, or D/M license and ID card application. If the person giving consent is not a parent, proper documentation of authority must be shown at the time of the written test.

Alternative exam options

If you have a cognitive or physical disability that would prevent you from taking a standard learner’s permit exam through ATS, you may request an alternative extended time, paper, or oral exam. To request an extended time or paper exam, you must speak to the service center manager when you visit the service center. To request an oral exam, please call (857) 368-8105 and leave a message that includes your name, your telephone number, the specifics of your request, and the RMV Service Center where you would like to take your oral exam. You will then be contacted by a registry employee who will help you schedule an exam.

Oral exams are only available in English.

For oral exams, you must provide the service center manager with written documentation that confirms the nature of your disability. This documentation may be a doctor's or social worker's letter, an Individualized Education Plan (IEP), or a letter from a school on official letterhead. You will also need to provide all of the required identification documents.

An oral exam will only be provided if it has been scheduled in advance by calling the number above. Extended time and paper exams do not need to be scheduled in advance.

Road test or MREP

After you obtain a motorcycle learner’s permit, you must take and pass a Class M road test or complete the Motorcycle Rider Education Program (MREP) course to obtain a motorcycle license. If under 18, you must take the MREP course and complete all junior operator requirements to get a license.





Tell us what you think