Massachusetts does not issue temporary licenses and does not take part in the Nurse Licensure Compact (NLC).
Am I eligible?
To be licensed as a registered nurse (RN) or licensed practical nurse (LPN) in Massachusetts, you must provide proof that you:
- AR 23-02 Educational Requirements for Licensure Applicants Educated in an Out of State Nursing Program (PDF) | (DOCX)
- Graduated from a board-approved nursing program
- Are of Good Moral Character, as defined by Massachusetts state law
- Have passed the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX)
- Have been licensed in another state or the District of Columbia
- Have a valid Social Security number
If you were a former RN student and you withdrew (did not graduate) from a professional nursing program but were in good standing, you may need to provide additional documentation to apply: