Why am I receiving a notice or bill from DOR?
To understand why you are receiving a notice or bill from DOR, you need to know what your notice or bill means.
To learn more, select the notice or bill which you have received.
How do I set up a Small Payment Agreement?
There are two types of payment agreements for individuals: Total tax liabilities of $5,000 or less and total tax liabilities of $5,001 or greater. In order to enter into a Monthly Payment Agreement, a Notice of Assessment (NOA) must have been issued.
To set up a small payment agreement, visit DOR payment agreement frequently asked questions.
I received a Notice of Levy, what do I do?
A Notice of Levy is issued when we are unable to collect or establish an approved DOR payment agreement on an outstanding tax liability. A levy can be issued in two forms: a Bank Levy or a Wage Levy.
- A 60 day levy issued to your financial institution to freeze the account in the amount that is owed to the DOR.
- The hold will remain in effect for 60 days from the date it is first served until the liability is paid in full or released, whichever occurs first.
- If you do not have the funds to pay the full tax obligation you should call the DOR Contact Center immediately at (617) 887-6367 to discuss the options available to you.
DOR will notify your employer that the garnishment of your wages will need to take place.
- A certain amount of your paycheck will be deducted and sent to the DOR to be applied towards your tax liability until it is paid in full or released, whichever occurs first.
- If the amount being deducted is causing financial hardship, you must contact the DOR Contact Center immediately at (617) 887-6367 to discuss options available to you.
How do I make a bill payment online?
When you receive any type of bill, you have the option to make a payment online through MasstaxConnect.
We have provided step-by-step instructions for you to follow.
9 a.m.–4 p.m., Monday through Friday
- Video: Notices and Bills
- Avisos fiscales del DOR en español
- Personal Income tax information
- Personal Income and Fiduciary estimated tax payments
- Tax Bills, Collections, Audits, and Appeals
- Make a tax payment with MassTaxConnect
- Set up a payment agreement
- Amend a Massachusetts Individual or Business Tax Return
- Office of the Taxpayer Advocate