DCR offers off-highway vehicle (OHV) riding opportunities on designated trails in select forests between May and November. All vehicles need to be registered. Riders under 18 must complete an operator safety and responsibility program before riding. Helmets are required.
These four forests are open to OHV use through the partnership of the Berkshire Trails Council and local OHV clubs who help to maintain the trails for all visitors. OHV trails in Western Massachusetts are challenging and only suitable for the intermediate to expert rider. For more detailed information, trail maps and directions go to https://www.mass.gov/visit-massachusetts-state-parks
- Beartown State Forest (Lee, Great Barrington and Monterey) 413-528-0904 - Approximately 25 miles of OHV trails suitable for motorcycles or ATVs.
- October Mountain State Forest (Lee, Lenox, Washington and Becket) 413-243-1778 - Approximately 30 miles of OHV trails suitable for motorcycles or ATVs.
- Pittsfield State Forest (Pittsfield, Lanesboro and Hancock) 413-442-8992 - Approximately 14 miles of OHV trails suitable for motorcycles or ATVs.
- Tolland State Forest (Tolland, Sandisfield and Otis) 413-269-6002 - Approximately 15 miles of OHV trails best suited to MGL c. 90 registered motorcycles (motorcycles registered and equipped to ride on public roads). Many Tolland trails merge with public ways where ATV use is prohibited; ATV riders will find more suitable trails in Beartown, October Mt. and Pittsfield State Forests.
These two forests are open to OHV use through the partnership of the Pilgrim Sands Trail Riders and King Philip Trail Riders who help to maintain the trails for all visitors. For more detailed information, trail maps and directions go to https://www.mass.gov/visit-massachusetts-state-parks
- Freetown-Fall River State Forest (Freetown and Fall River) 508-644-5522 - Approximately 25 miles of singe track trails for the expert rider. Motorcycles only.
- F. Gilbert Hills, Wrentham and Franklin State Forests (Foxboro, Wrentham and Franklin) 508-543-9084 - Approximately 8 miles of single track motorcycle trail in each of the three forests. Best suited to intermediate to expert riders. Motorcycles only.
Contact for Find a State Park OHV Riding Trail
Open M-F 9am-5pm