Frequently Asked Questions about Electric and Gas Utilities

Many residents are struggling to pay their bills, including their monthly utility bills, following the COVID-19 crisis and due to the currently high fossil fuel prices. Electricity and Gas are essential services—that’s why it is important that customers know their rights and where they can go for help if they need it.

Table of Contents

How can I keep my utilities from being shut off?

Between November 15th and March 15th, residential customers are protected from utility shut off if the utility service is needed to heat your home and you receive service from an investor-owned utility, such as Eversource, National Grid, Unitil, Liberty Utilities, or Berkshire Gas. 

At all other times, if you are experiencing financial hardship and one of the following applies, your electric or gas cannot be shut off without permission from the Department of Public Utilities:

  • You, or someone in your home, is seriously ill;
  • You have an infant under 12 months in your home; and
  • All adults in the home are age 65 or older and a minor child resides in the home.

In addition, payment plans are available to avoid shut off and manage utility bills. If you are a residential customer struggling to pay your utility bills, behind on your payments, or interested in more regular payments, reach out to your electric or gas utility to discuss available payment plans and payment assistance programs that may be available. Residential customers making payments under payment plans with their investor-owned electric or gas utility will remain protected from shut-off as long as they make payments under the payment schedule.

If you are served by a municipal utility, it may or may not be shutting off customers for unpaid bills. If you receive residential electric or gas service through a municipal utility, contact them directly to find out more about their shut-off policy and to hear about available payment assistance programs.

Why are electric rates going up this summer?

Inflation and the ongoing war between Russia and Ukraine are driving up fossil fuel prices and in turn energy rates for customers across the country this summer.

What can I do to manage my costs with these high rates?

Take steps to reduce your overall energy usage this summer, which should in turn help you lower your utility bill.  Customers should consider the following:

  • Contact Mass Save for an energy efficiency audit to see how you can make your home or business more efficient, reduce your overall energy use, and lower your monthly utility bill over time.
  • Adjust your air conditioner setting, either manually or by installing a programmable thermostat – for every degree higher, the unit will use 1 to 3 percent less electricity.
  • Close window coverings on hot sunny days, which can reduce indoor temperatures by up to 20 degrees.

Customers who are interested in installing solar panels or enrolling with community solar programs should visit the AG’s Office FAQ with consumer tips at

What if I can't afford my bills, even on a payment plan?

The more you pay now the less you will have to make up later. If you are struggling to pay your electric or gas utility bills, reach out to your utility to discuss available payment plans, arrearage forgiveness programs and other payment assistance programs. Your electric or gas utility may be able to arrange a payment plan that you can afford and also check your eligibility to participate in a range of payment assistance programs (see discussion below). 

I received a notice saying that I might lose my electric or gas service. What do I do?

If you received a shut-off notice from your electric or gas utility, call your utility immediately and ask to enroll in a payment plan. Also ask your electric or gas utility if you qualify for an arrearage forgiveness program or any other payment assistance program. Payment plans can help avoid service shut-offs.

For small business customers of an investor-owned utility, enrolling in a payment plan may protect your business from electric or gas shut off if you cannot afford your current balance. Call your electric or gas utility immediately to enroll. If you are a customer of a municipal utility, call your municipal utility immediately to ask about any assistance programs that may be available.

I own a small business. What programs are available?

If a small business enrolls in an electric or gas payment plan with its investor-owned utility company and the business makes its payments, it will be protected from electric or gas service disconnection for the duration of the payment plan. Small business customers may also qualify for payment plans that include arrearage forgiveness. To learn about these payment programs, and whether they are offered by your utility, please contact your utility. If you are a small business customer that receives electric or gas service through a municipal utility, call your municipal utility to see what programs they offer to help avoid disconnection.

What types of residential electric or gas payment assistance programs are available?

If you qualify as income eligible, there are several programs, including: (1) Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), a federally-funded program that helps Massachusetts residents pay their heating bills; (2) the low-income discount rate program; and (3) arrearage management programs (AMPs) for investor-owned electric and gas utility customers.

LIHEAP is not available in the summer months.  Applications for LIHEAP for the 2022-2023 heating season can likely be submitted beginning in the late summer or early fall and throughout the winter heating season. Visit here or the Cold Relief Heatline at (800) 632-8175 to find your local community action agency where you can apply for LIHEAP.

Other assistance programs for income-eligible customers are available year-round through investor-owned gas and electric utilities, including a low-income discount rate program, which helps make bills more manageable, and an arrearage management program (AMP), which helps customers who have an unpaid balance on their bill and are struggling to pay. The AMP provides customers with the opportunity to have all or a portion of an arrearage (or outstanding unpaid amounts due) forgiven in exchange for payments of an amount and on a schedule designed individually for each participant.

The AGO encourages you to contact your electric or gas utility if the recent COVID-19 crisis has significantly impacted your household income because you may be eligible for other assistance programs. Please see below for contact numbers for each investor-owned electric and gas utility. 

How do I know if I am eligible to receive residential electric or gas payment assistance programs?

If your household income is 60% or less of the state median income, you are eligible for LIHEAP. 

This chart from the Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) provides more detailed household income information. Income eligibility is evaluated based on your gross household income for the past 4 weeks. Many customers’ financial situations have changed during the pandemic. You may be eligible for assistance now, even if you have not been eligible in the past.

DHCD has a toll-free hotline, 1-800-632-8175, that is multi-language and will quickly direct you to your local community action agency that can help answer additional questions about eligibility and process your LIHEAP application. You can also go to to find more information about your local community action agency and eligibility.

To be eligible for your electric or gas utility’s low-income discount rate program or the arrearage management program (AMP), you must either qualify for LIHEAP funding, or receive food, cash, or medical benefits from the state.

If your household income is between 60 to 80% of the state median income, you may be able to receive help from the Good Neighbor Energy Fund.

Are there any payment assistance programs available to me if I don't qualify as low-income?

If you do not qualify for a low-income program, contact your electric or gas utility to learn about deferred payment arrangements. Some Massachusetts investor-owned electric and gas utility companies offer deferred payment arrangements which allow the customer to set up a customized, manageable payment plan.

Utilities also offer another way to stay on top of your bills called budget billing. Budget billing equalizes monthly payments over the course of 12 months so that you pay a predictable amount each month instead of seeing your bill amount fluctuate depending on the season, the price of energy, and customer usage. 

In addition to requesting assistance from your electric or gas utility, residential customers should also contact their local community action agency, as there may be funds available to assist households who earn more than 60 % of the state median income, but still need assistance paying their bills. Visit or dial 211 to find your local agency.

Additional Resources

How can I contact my utility?

Electric and gas utility contact information is provided below:


Eastern Mass: 866-861-6225

Western Mass: 877-963-2632

National Grid






Berkshire Gas


What else can I do to keep my energy bills as low as possible?

You can consider contacting Mass Save for an energy efficiency audit. An increase in your home’s energy efficiency should result in lower utility bills over time.

You should also closely review your electric and gas utility bills to determine whether you are buying your electric or gas supply from your utility or from another entity, often called a competitive supplier. Competitive suppliers often charge higher rates than your utility’s rates. The AGO issued a 2018 report and 2019 updateand 2021 update that found that Massachusetts customers typically lost money on competitive electric supply.

If you get your electricity or gas from a competitive supplier, you can contact your supplier to negotiate a lower rate. If a lower rate is not available, ask about canceling your contract so that you may return to buying your electric and gas supply from your utility (often called “basic service”).

You can check out current and historic basic service rates here.


Additional Resources

Open file forCompetitive Electric Supply

Additional Resources

I have more questions. Who can I contact for help?

In addition to your utility, you can contact the Department of Public Utilities at 877-886-5066, or complete their online complaint form.

You can also file a consumer complaint with the Attorney General's Consumer Advocacy and Response Division or by calling our hotline at 617-727-8400.

I want to share this information with my community, how can I do that?



Consumer Hotline (617) 727-8400

Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.