HomeBASE helps families who have been found eligible for EA Family Shelter by providing up to $30,000 over a 2-year period, with the possibility of a 3rd year of help. If your family is found eligible for the EA Family Shelter program, you may be invited to apply.
What can HomeBASE pay for?
- First and last month's rent, security deposit, and broker’s fee for a new apartment
- Monthly payments to help with rent for up to 3 years
- Furniture, moving expenses, and utilities, based on families’ needs
- Overdue rent and/or utility payments
HomeBASE pays a landlord or vendor (like a moving or utility company) directly. Landlords or property managers will also need to complete an application in order for HomeBASE to help pay your rent.
In addition to financial resources, HomeBASE provides a case manager who helps each family find community supports for education, job training, finding a job, and childcare.
Who Is Eligible for HomeBASE?
There is no open application for HomeBASE. Eligible families will be invited to apply.
You're eligible if:
- Your family is living in EA Emergency Family Shelter
- Your family is eligible for EA Emergency Family Shelter but not living there yet. This means you've provided all required documentation. (You will be referred to HomeBASE and someone from the program will contact you within 24 hours.)
- Families living in non-EA domestic violence shelters and residential use treatment programs may be eligible for HomeBASE
To be eligible for EA (and HomeBASE) families must:
- Be a resident of Massachusetts
- Meet the program income standards
- Have children under the age of 21, or be pregnant
- Be homeless due to:
- No-fault fire, flood, natural disaster, condemnation, or foreclosure
- Fleeing domestic violence
- No-fault eviction
- Child is exposed to a serious health and safety risk
Is there a separate application for HomeBASE?
No. If you applied for EA Emergency Family Shelter, you do not need to complete any other application. A diversion provider will call or email you. They will help you complete the forms required to receive HomeBASE benefits.
What if I am eligible for EA, but didn't know about HomeBASE?
Please call or email your state contact if you did not receive information about HomeBASE AND you are eligible for EA Emergency Family Shelter. You could be eligible for HomeBASE even if you are on the EA shelter waitlist.
By phone we can be reached at 866-584-0653, Monday-Friday 8am-5pm (closed on weekends and state holidays).
Please know that it may take 24 hours for a diversion provider to contact you (unless you contact us on a Friday, in which case you will be contacted the following Monday).
Can I access HomeBASE if I am in shelter now?
If you are living in an EA Family Shelter, but you want to find more stable housing, you can also access HomeBASE.
Please work with staff at your shelter or your case worker to get more information.
Who do I call to learn more about HomeBASE?
If you are eligible for EA Emergency Family Shelter, staff will tell you more and make a referral for you.
Once referred, a diversion provider will call or email you within 24 hours (unless you contact us on a Friday, in which case you will be contacted the following Monday). You do not need to call anyone – they will call you. Please share the best number to reach you.
What is a diversion provider?
A diversion provider is an organization that supports HomeBASE participants as they find housing. Diversion means that you are finding stable housing instead of going to a temporary shelter.
Low-income households with or without children can apply to the RAFT Program. RAFT pays up to $7,000 to help with rent, mortgage, utilities and other housing costs, including moving to new housing.
Visit Findhelp.org to food, housing, transportation, and more in your area.
Call Mass2-1-1's free state hotline (dial 2-1-1 on your phone) for information on childcare, food, transportation, utility assistance, and housing.
You can also visit a Find Family Resource Centers (across the state), which support families in accessing basic needs and resources.
Contact for HomeBASE
Open M-F 8am-5pm - Closed on State Holidays