- Frequently asked questions about mosquitoes in Massachusetts
- Common mosquitoes that can spread disease in Massachusetts
Only a small number of mosquitoes are infected at any given time, so being bitten by a mosquito does not mean you will get sick. However, the best way to avoid both of these illnesses is to prevent mosquito bites.
There are simple steps that you can take to protect yourself and your family from mosquito bites, and the illnesses they can cause.
Protect yourself from illness by doing simple things:
- Use insect repellents any time you are outdoors
- Wear long-sleeved clothing
- Schedule outdoor activities to avoid the hours from dusk to dawn during peak mosquito season
- Repair damaged window and door screens
- Remove standing water from the areas around your home
- Preventing Mosquito Bites Brochure
A fold-out, color brochure that provides information on mosquitoes, diseases transmitted by mosquitoes, how to protect yourself from bites, how to reduce mosquitoes around a home, and information on repellents.
- Mosquito Control and Spraying
Fact sheet about aerial spraying of mosquitoes for EEE
- Gardening Tips — Don’t let the bugs bite!
Learn tips and tricks to prevent tick and mosquito bites while performing outdoor activities such as gardening.
- Mosquito Repellent FAQ
Fact sheet about mosquito repellents.
- Kid-Friendly Mosquito Repellent Poster (PDF) | Doc
English poster "Protect yourself from mosquito bites!"
- Mosquito Bite Prevention Poster for Parents/Caregivers (PDF) | Doc
English poster "Protect children from mosquito bites!"
- Also available in Spanish:¡Proteja a los niños de las Picaduras de Mosquitos! PDF | Doc
- Also available in Portuguese: Proteja as crianças das picadas de mosquitos! (PDF) | Doc
- Mosquito Repellent Guidance for School Staff
Guidance for applying EPA- approved mosquito repellent to prevent EEE
Mosquito-borne disease fact sheets
This 3-minute video featuring State Epidemiologist Dr. Catherine Brown provides an overview of Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE) and how you can protect yourself and your family from this mosquito-borne illness. Please feel free to share this video online and on your social media channels.
Mosquito bites can you make you very sick. Take these simple steps to protect yourself and your family from mosquito bites and the serious illnesses they can cause. Please feel free to share this video online and on your social media channels.