Log in links for this page

Out-of-State employers doing work in Massachusetts

Find out if you need coverage when you are an out-of-state employer.

Table of Contents

I'm an out-of-state employer and am doing work in Massachusetts. Do I need workers' comp insurance?

Out-of-state employers operating in Massachusetts must provide workers’ compensation coverage for all employees working in the Commonwealth.

Employers whose existing workers’ compensation insurance policies list Massachusetts in Section 3A of the policy’s information page satisfy this requirement.

Employers whose workers’ compensation policies list Massachusetts in Section 3C regarding all states coverage (with or without certain state exclusions) must get proof from their insurance carrier that coverage is provided in Massachusetts by having their workers' compensation insurer submit a Form 154 - Verification of Workers' Compensation Coverage by Out-of-State Employers Operating in Massachusetts

Additional Resources

Help Us Improve Mass.gov  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.