Who we serve
Perfusionists are skilled health professionals. They are trained and educated as members of an open-heart, surgical team. They are responsible for the selection, set-up, and operation of a mechanical device referred to as the heart-lung machine.
- Handle operating the heart-lung machine during surgery
- Monitor the altered circulatory process
- Take appropriate corrective action when abnormal situations arise
- Keep both the surgeon and the anesthesiologist informed
- Operate mechanical devices to assist in the conservation of blood and blood products during surgery
- Provide extended, long-term support of the patient's circulation outside of the operating room