Tomatoes will be judged by a panel of experts on flavor, firmness/slicing quality, exterior color and shape. The contest is sponsored by the New England Vegetable and Berry Growers Association in cooperation with the Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources (MDAR) and Mass Farmers’ Markets and hosted by the Boston Public Market Association and The Trustees. This friendly contest is open to commercial tomato growers and is designed to increase consumer’s awareness of local agriculture.
Schedule of Events:
9:00 am to 10:45 am – Tomato drop-off and registration
11:00 am – Judging of tomatoes by panel of experts
12:45 pm– Presentation of awards
Tomato Contest Criteria
- Flavor: 10 points possible. The perfect tomato should have a strong tomato taste, be slightly acidic, juicy and fresh tasting with a tender skin.
- Firmness/Slicing Quality: 5 points possible. A desirable tomato should have a dense uniform thick wall with many seed cavities, completely filled with a jelly-like mass. The firmness of the tomato should be pleasing, not too mushy and not too hard. It should be such that it will bruise if dropped, yet is not over-ripe.
- Exterior Color: 5 points possible. The winning tomato has a uniform color, is free of green shoulders and has no evidence of blotchy ripening or other defects.
- Shape: 5 points possible. Tomatoes come in different shapes and sizes, depending on the variety. Their shape should be symmetrical, but most important, the tomatoes in each entry should be uniform in size.
PRIZES: First, second, and third place tomato trophies will be awarded in all four categories.
Top 5 certificates will also be given in each category.
How to Register
How to Register:
Each farm entry is required to submit a registration form. All of the required tomato details and categories are explained on the registration form.*A registration form is required with each farm entry.*
If you are unable to bring your tomatoes to Boston, please contact one of the following representatives to confirm drop-off entry(s). Drop off is scheduled for Monday, August 26th at the following locations (check times below).
* Registration form is required with entries.*
Topsfield Fair, 978-887-5000 – Drop off between 9:00 am and 3:00pm
Administration Building, 207 Boston Street, Topsfield, 01983
Southeastern Massachusetts: Langwater Farm, 508-205-9665 – Drop off between 9:00 am and 3:00 pm 209 Washington/ Route 138, North Easton.
Central Mass Grown, 508-556-4238 – Drop off between 9:00 am and 3:00 pm
474 Grove Street, Suite 200, Worcester
Massachusetts Building at the Big E, 617-626-1754 – Drop off between 9:00 am and 3:00 pm
1305 Memorial Ave, West Springfield
Berkshire Grown, 413-528-0041 – Drop off between 8:00 am and 10:00 am
4 Castle Street, Suite 15/17, Great Barrington
For more information regarding the Tomato Contest please contact David Webber, (617) 626-1754 or David.Webber@mass.gov.