Find help with your taxes

A tax professional can help you prepare your taxes or represent you in an appeal or collection case. Some can do both. You may qualify for free tax preparation services. Choose the service that is right for you.

Low Income Taxpayer Clinics (LITC)

There are 4 LITC locations in Massachusetts providing services to taxpayers who are low income or who speak English as a second language (ESL).

  • Boston – Greater Boston Legal Services LITC (800) 323-3205
  • Jamaica Plain – Legal Services Center of Harvard Law School LITC (866) 738-8081
  • Springfield – Springfield Partners LITC (413) 263-6500
  • Waltham – Bentley University Multi-lingual Tax Information Program (800) 273-9494

VITA - Low to moderate income taxpayers may be eligible for free tax preparation services at an IRS approved VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) location.

AARP – For qualifying senior taxpayers, the AARP Foundation’s Tax Aid Program provides free tax preparation services.

Legal Services – Find free legal representation across the state for low income individuals.

Massachusetts Bar Association – If you do not qualify for free legal representation, you may contact the Bar Association at or (866) 627-7577 for a referral.

Tax Preparation and Representation

Many tax professionals are members of organizations that will assist you in finding a professional nearby.

Massachusetts Society of Enrolled Agents

An enrolled agent is a tax practitioner licensed by the U.S. Department of the Treasury to represent any taxpayer (individual, business, corporation or estate) before the Internal Revenue Service and state taxing authorities. Find an enrolled agent in Massachusetts.

Massachusetts Society of Certified Public Accountants

A CPA is an accountant who has satisfied education and experience requirements and successfully completed an exam testing business, auditing and general accounting skills. CPAs are required to continue their professional education to keep up with new rules and regulations. Look for a CPA who specializes in taxes. Find a CPA in Massachusetts.

National Association of Tax Professionals (Massachusetts Chapter)

A paid tax professional will have an IRS Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN) and must include it on the tax returns they prepare. Tax professionals have different levels of representation rights. Some will have unlimited representation rights before the IRS and others will have limited representation rights or may be authorized only to prepare returns. Find a tax professional.


Did you find the information you were looking for on this page? * required
We use your feedback to help us improve this site but we are not able to respond directly. Please do not include personal or contact information. If you need a response, please locate contact information elsewhere on this page or in the footer.
Tell us what you think