Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
The Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community Development runs the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). LIHEAP helps low-income people and families with the cost of heating their homes in the winter. You may seek help from a local fuel assistance office if you are having trouble paying your utility bills.
(1) receive help from a public-benefit program, such as:
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Transitional Aid to Families with Dependent Children (TAFDC)
- Emergency Aid to Elderly, Disabled and Children (EAEDC)
- Food Stamps (SNAP)
- Refugee Resettlement Benefits
- MassHealth Basic or Standard
- Head Start, Free and Reduced School Lunch or Breakfast Program,
- MassVeterans Benefits
- Dependency & Indemnity Compensation (DIC) for Surviving Spouse or Parents of Veterans
- Improved Veterans Disability Pension
- Commonwealth Care Plan, Types 1, 2 or 2A
- Health Safety Net Plan – Primary or Secondary
- Women, Infants & Children (WIC) or
(2) are eligible for the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP),
you may be eligible for a discount rate from your gas and/or electric companies.
To apply for LIHEAP fuel assistance, you must visit the fuel assistance agency in your area. Click here to find an agency near you.
Salvation Army Good Neighbor Fund
The Salvation Army's Good Neighbor Energy Fund offers one-time grants for eligible consumers. The Fund is available to any Massachusetts resident who cannot meet a month's energy expense because of temporary financial difficulty and is not eligible for state or federal energy assistance. To be eligible, your income must fall between 60 and 80 percent of the state's median income levels.
To find out if you are eligible, contact the Salvation Army at (800) 334-3047 in area codes 617,508,781, and 978 or at (800) 262-1320 in area code 413.
The Joe-4-Oil Heat Program offers free heating oil to people who can't afford to pay their heating bills. Each eligible household can receive a one-time delivery per heating season of 100 gallons of home heating oil, free of charge.
To apply for assistance, call 877-563-4645.