The following summarizes the SAFIS fingerprinting process:
- An applicant/employee registers for a fingerprinting appointment by using the IdentoGO™ registration website or by the IdentoGO Massachusetts Customer Service Center;
- An applicant/employee goes to an enrollment center on the date and time selected by him/her and has his/her fingerprints taken;
- The applicant's/employee's fingerprints are sent electronically to the Massachusetts State Police (MSP) for a statewide criminal history record check and to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) for a nationwide criminal record check;
- The results of both the state and national fingerprint-based criminal history record check are returned to the Massachusetts Department of Criminal Justice Information Services (DCJIS) for review and;
- The state and national fingerprint-based criminal history record check results are returned to the agency/sector for review. It is at this point that the agency will determine whether an applicant/employee is suitable for the position.
SAFIS Results (SAFIS-R)
SAFIS-R is the online results system that authorized users access to electronically process results of state and national fingerprint-based criminal record checks.
- SAFIS-R is accessible via the Internet.
- SAFIS-R provides authorized users with up-to-date information on the status of a SAFIS transaction.
- SAFIS-R sends email notifications.
- An email notification is sent to an employee/applicant and authorized SAFIS-R user if an employee/applicant is required to schedule a retake due to a quality rejection.
- An email notification will be sent to an authorized SAFIS-R user when an applicant’s fingerprint processing has been completed.
- An email notification will be sent to an authorized SAFIS-R user when a request has been submitted to the FBI to conduct a name search after two sets of fingerprints have been rejected by the FBI due to quality issues.
- SAFIS-R provides authorized users with an option to export data found in the search result to an MS Excel spreadsheet.
- SAFIS-R includes a phone number and email (if provided) for each employee/applicant.
- SAFIS-R results will be available for six (6) months in SAFIS-R.