The State Hazard Mitigation and Climate Adaptation Plan (SHMCAP) for the Commonwealth was adopted on September 17, 2018, in fulfillment of Governor Baker’s Executive Order 569 on climate change. This plan, the first of its kind to comprehensively integrate climate change impacts and adaptation strategies with hazard mitigation planning also complies with current federal requirements for state hazard mitigation plans and maintains the Commonwealth’s eligibility for federal disaster recovery and hazard mitigation funding under the Stafford Act. The plan will next be submitted to FEMA for approval.
Read the September 2018 Plan
Download the full Statewide Hazard Mitigation and Climate Adaptation Plan, or read individual sections by clicking the links below.
- Executive Summary
- Chapter 1: Introduction and Assurances
- Chapter 2: Planning Context
- Chapter 3: Introduction to Risk Assessment
- Chapter 4: Risk Assessment
- Chapter 5: Technological and Human-Caused Hazards
- Chapter 6: State Capability and Adaptive Capacity Analysis
- Chapter 7: Hazard Mitigation and Climate Adaptation Strategy
- Chapter 8: Plan Implementation and Maintenance
- Chapter 9: Planning Process
- Chapter 10: Coordination of Local Hazard Mitigation and Climate Adaptation Planning