The State Hazard Mitigation and Climate Adaptation Plan (SHMCAP) for the Commonwealth was adopted on September 17, 2018, in fulfillment of the Governor’s Executive Order 569 on climate change. This plan, the first of its kind to comprehensively integrate climate change impacts and adaptation strategies with hazard mitigation planning, also complies with current federal requirements for state hazard mitigation plans and maintains the Commonwealth’s eligibility for federal disaster recovery and hazard mitigation funding under the Stafford Act. The plan received FEMA approval and is effective 9/19/2018 through 9/18/2023.
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts has officially kicked-off the first 5-year required update of the MA State Hazard Mitigation & Climate Adaptation Plan (SHMCAP). This SHMCAP update to be released in Fall of 2023 will integrate the data, information and findings of the MA Climate Change Assessment.
Stay tuned for more detail on SHMCAP update. For more information or questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Read the September 2018 Plan
Download the full Statewide Hazard Mitigation and Climate Adaptation Plan, or read individual sections by clicking the links below.
- Executive Summary
- Chapter 1: Introduction and Assurances
- Chapter 2: Planning Context
- Chapter 3: Introduction to Risk Assessment
- Chapter 4: Risk Assessment
- Chapter 5: Technological and Human-Caused Hazards
- Chapter 6: State Capability and Adaptive Capacity Analysis
- Chapter 7: Hazard Mitigation and Climate Adaptation Strategy
- Chapter 8: Plan Implementation and Maintenance
- Chapter 9: Planning Process
- Chapter 10: Coordination of Local Hazard Mitigation and Climate Adaptation Planning
- Appendix A: Risk Assessment Methodology
- Appendix B: Historical Disaster Occurrences
- Appendix D: Hazard Mitigation and Climate Adaptation Strategy Supporting Documentation
- Appendix E: Planning Process Supporting Documentation
- Appendix F: Local Climate Adaptation and Climate Action Plans
- Appendix G: References