Help with abuse
- Massachusetts Office of Victim Assistance (MOVA) — If you need help requesting an abuse prevention order, MOVA offers a program called SAFEPLAN that provides people to help you in many courts across the state.
- Court advocates — There are other programs in some courts that provide people who can help you fill out the forms and go with you to the courtroom. In some cases, the advocate is from the local domestic violence service provider. In other cases, District Attorney Office victim-witness advocates help people file for a 209A order. You can find a list of domestic violence service providers at Jane Doe, Inc. People at these organizations can tell you if they have court advocates or if not, how to reach a court advocate.
- SAFELINK hotline — If you need help immediately for safety planning or shelter, call the SAFELINK hotline at 1(877) 785-2020. They can help you find a domestic violence program or shelter near you.
Help with harassment
- Local police — You don’t have to call the police, but it’s important for you to know you can call them if you feel you need their protection, especially in emergencies.
- Massachusetts Office for Victim Assistance (MOVA) — MOVA coordinates the SAFEPLAN programs on a statewide basis. SAFEPLAN is a court-based program that provides advocates to help victims of sexual assault and stalking who want a harassment prevention order. SAFEPLAN advocates are available in 41 District Courts and Probate & Family Courts across the state. The services they provide to victims are free. SAFEPLAN advocates can help victims of sexual assault or stalking get a 258E order or go with you to a harassment prevention order hearing. For information on SAFEPLAN advocates, what they do, and how to reach them, read the SAFEPLAN FAQs.
- Jane Doe, Inc. — Jane Doe, Inc. is the statewide coalition against sexual assault and domestic violence. Their website includes information for victims of sexual and domestic violence and stalking.
- Boston Area Rape Crisis Center (BARCC) — BARCC runs a 24/7 toll-free hotline: (800) 841-8371.
- National Sexual Assault Hotline — 1(800) 656-HOPE connects callers directly to local crisis centers.