More about:

Senior Circuit Breaker Tax Credit

Certain seniors who pay taxes on the residential property they own or rent are eligible for a refundable tax credit. Find out if you qualify.

What to know

As a senior citizen, you may be eligible to claim a refundable credit on your personal state income tax return. The Circuit Breaker tax credit is based on the actual real estate taxes paid on the Massachusetts residential property you own or rent and occupy as your principal residence.

The maximum credit amount for 2017 is $1,080. If the credit you're owed exceeds the amount of the total tax payable for the year, you'll be refunded the additional amount of the credit without interest.

Another great resource is the Senior Circuit Breaker Tax Credit Video Tutorial.

Who is eligible

  • You must be a Massachusetts resident or part-year resident.
  • You must be 65 or older by December 31.
  • You must file a Massachusetts personal income tax return.
  • You must own or rent residential property in Massachusetts and occupy it as your primary residence.
  • For the tax year, your total Massachusetts income doesn't exceed:
    • $57,000 for a single individual who is not the head of a household.
    • $72,000 for a head of household.
    • $86,000 for married couples filing a joint return.
  • If you are a homeowner, your Massachusetts property tax payments, together with half of your water and sewer expense, must exceed 10% of your total Massachusetts income for the tax year.
  • If you are a renter, 25% of your annual Massachusetts rent must exceed 10% of your total Massachusetts income for the tax year.

Who is not eligible

  • You are a nonresident. 
  • You are married and your status is married filing separately.
  • You are a dependent of another taxpayer.
  • You receive a federal and/or state rent subsidy or you rent from a tax-exempt entity.
  • For the tax year, the assessed value of principal residence exceeds $747,000.

How to apply

If you are eligible for the Circuit Breaker Credit, complete Schedule CB with your Massachusetts state income tax return.

If you qualify for the tax credit in a prior tax year but didn't file Schedule CB with your original state income tax return, you should file an amended return with your Schedule CB. Be sure to fill in the Amended return oval on the return.

The Schedule CB must be completed within three years from the last day for filing the return, without regard to any extension of time to file.

For more details, please visit Apply for the Circuit Breaker tax credit.

Additional Resources for How to apply


Did you find the information you were looking for on this page? * required
We use your feedback to help us improve this site but we are not able to respond directly. Please do not include personal or contact information. If you need a response, please locate contact information elsewhere on this page or in the footer.
Tell us what you think