Landscaping on the Massachusetts coast is no easy task. The wind, salt spray, occasional far-reaching storm waves, and shifting, parched, sandy soils can thwart even the most seasoned gardeners. But with the right plants, you can attain a flourishing coastal landscape and spend less time, money, and labor in the process. Other rewards include: enhanced visual appeal of your coastal property, preservation of the natural character of the coastal environment, habitat for wildlife, a filter for pollution, and natural protection from storm damage and erosion.
Coastal Landscaping Index
To maximize the success of your landscape project on the coast, see the following links:
- Benefits of Coastal Landscaping
- Landscaping a Coastal Bank
- Landscaping a Coastal Beach or Dune
- Tips for Planting, Installation, and Maintenance
- Coastal Landscaping - Do You Need a Permit?
- Plant List (species appropriate for the Massachusetts coast)
- Plant Highlights and Images
- Sample Landscape Plans
- Where to Purchase Native Plants
- Links to Additional Resources