October 14, 2020 - VPRS mapping services are currently down. Reports can still be created and saved, however, you will not be able to submit your report until the maps are working and you are able to map a location. Please check back for updates, we are working to resolve the issue.
VPRS Upgrade Coming 2021!
We are working on a system upgrade to our online Rare Species and Vernal Pool data entry portal.
The new system will continue to provide a way for you to report your data with increased efficiencies, enhanced account management, and improved mapping capabilities.
Stay tuned for more details!
Register for an account
First-time users will need to follow the steps below:
- Download Adobe Flash Player (FREE) version 10 or 11 (11.9.900.117 recommended)
- Register for an account hosted by the Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs (EOEEA)
- Once you have an account fill out, sign and return the certification form. This will establish the electronic signature for all of your observations submitted through the VPRS system.
We cannot accept records into our database without a signature. By sending in this form, all observations you submit within VPRS system will be reviewable for acceptance into our database. All submittals will be marked "Submitted - Unsigned" until we've processed your signature form.
Additional Resources for
Preview the System
In order to allow you to preview the system and to help you see and understand all the functionality the VPRS system contains, we have created a series of tutorials outlining each section of the online system.
- The "Home" page which displays your user account information as well as any notifications between you and the NHESP, including feedback on the system.
- The Vernal Pool report which allows you to provide certification criteria, and report any rare salamanders that may have been found at the pool.
- The Plant and Animal reports allow you to map observation locations and attach photos directly to your electronic reports from within the system.
- The Survey Form which captures information about survey effort including number of visits to an area, weather at time of visit, number of surveyors, methodology used, etc. The results of a survey, positive or negative, can be extremely valuable for increasing our understanding of species populations throughout the state.
Additional Resources for
System Requirements, Tips & Tricks
- Preferred browser: Chrome
- Minimum screen resolution 1024x768 (higher strongly recommended)
- Adobe Flash Player 10 or 11
- Add the VPRS Reporting System email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) and the VPRS Recover Password email address (Helpdesk.EEA@state.ma.us) to your accepted contacts list in your email. This way you will be sure to receive all notifications sent from within the VPRS system.
- If you have the appropriate screen resolution and are still experiencing issues viewing the VPRS system on your computer try hitting the F11 key on your keyboard when in the VPRS web page. This should expand the page to a full-screen view. To exit this view and return to normal simply hit F11 again. Availability of this function may be dependent on your Internet browser or version of browser.